RH-96 with db9 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftl7011

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone been able to use the rh-96 head with the db9 connector in the back instead of the mini plug in the front with a 996 or BCT15?
Thanks

JoeyC

I can't speak for a 996 or a BCT15, but I am controlling my 996XT with a RH96 from the back db9 connector. There are instructions on how to wire the connector somewhere in the forum archives here.

Voyager

The RH works with the T and XT series. The issue is not the connector - it's that the RH does not recognize the P2 model numbers. For those who may recall, an update was made to the RH-96 so it would work with the XT series even though they are essentially the same as the T series. It's the same with the P2, but I don 't expect Uniden to update the RH firmware to work with the P2 series.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The RH works with the T and XT series. The issue is not the connector - it's that the RH does not recognize the P2 model numbers. For those who may recall, an update was made to the RH-96 so it would work with the XT series even though they are essentially the same as the T series. It's the same with the P2, but I don 't expect Uniden to update the RH firmware to work with the P2 series.

I remember that FW update when the XT models came out!

And I think you speak the truth that there will be no further updates to the RH displays to handle the P2 models.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I can't speak for a 996 or a BCT15, but I am controlling my 996XT with a RH96 from the back db9 connector. There are instructions on how to wire the connector somewhere in the forum archives here.

Do you have the pinouts for using your RH-96 on the XT? I think that might be easier than the jack I mounted on the rear of the XT.

mbnelson

Premium Subscriber
The cable configuration for using the RH96 with the rear DB-9 connector on the BCD996XT is:
3.5mm Tip - DB-9 Pin 3
3.5mm Ring - DB-9 Pin 2
3.5mm Sleeve - DB-9 Pin 5

I built the cable by ordering a cable with a factory-made right-angle 3.5mm plug and adding the DB-9 Female connector.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The cable configuration for using the RH96 with the rear DB-9 connector on the BCD996XT is:
3.5mm Tip - DB-9 Pin 3
3.5mm Ring - DB-9 Pin 2
3.5mm Sleeve - DB-9 Pin 5

I built the cable by ordering a cable with a factory-made right-angle 3.5mm plug and adding the DB-9 Female connector.

Thanks, it should be easier to use the DB-9 than installing the jack like I did on some of my radios!

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, I finally got around to trying the DB-9 connector with my BCT15's, BCT15X;s and 996XT's. It works just fine with each.

I cut off the end of a DB9 cable and toned out the pins. I then cut off a standard 3-wire computer speaker cable (you know the green ended cable that seems to ship with every computer and that you probably have a couple in your junque drawer?). I then connected the wires as shown above and below (from user mbnelson):

Pin 3 to Tip
Pin 2 to Ring
Pin 5 to Sleeve

I did notice a slight latency in response from the scanner, just enough to be noticeable, not enough to be annoying.

I don't have a 996P2 around to try it but might have one soon. I don't think it would work but if you have the parts and an RH-96 around try it and let us know...

Before you ask; no it will not work on a BCD536HP, BCD436HP or BCD325P2. The 325 has no RS232 and the control set on the 436 and 536 are different than that used by the RH-96.

scottyhetzel

Well, I finally got around to trying the DB-9 connector with my BCT15's, BCT15X;s and 996XT's. It works just fine with each.

I cut off the end of a DB9 cable and toned out the pins. I then cut off a standard 3-wire computer speaker cable (you know the green ended cable that seems to ship with every computer and that you probably have a couple in your junque drawer?). I then connected the wires as shown above and below (from user mbnelson):

Pin 3 to Tip
Pin 2 to Ring
Pin 5 to Sleeve

I did notice a slight latency in response from the scanner, just enough to be noticeable, not enough to be annoying.

I don't have a 996P2 around to try it but might have one soon. I don't think it would work but if you have the parts and an RH-96 around try it and let us know...

Before you ask; no it will not work on a BCD536HP, BCD436HP or BCD325P2. The 325 has no RS232 and the control set on the 436 and 536 are different than that used by the RH-96.

Good job Rich,
What is the purpose for your build?

Voyager

It won't work. The RH does not recognize the P2 model number. There was an update in order for it to work with the XT. A similar update would be required for the P2.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Good job Rich,
What is the purpose for your build?

For now it is just a proof of concept. I use RH-96's in my vehicle and the radios there have jacks I wired in on the back panel since the flimsy front serial ports are damaged. The next time I will just use the DB-9 on the back.

I was also talking to a friend yesterday about the idea regarding another project and we were wondering if we could apply it to a 996P2. While we both agree that it probably won't work we thought it would be fun to try. I might send him my cable if he can't build one just for giggles to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.