BCD396XT missing talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpasq

I have a Home Patrol 1 and just purchased a BCD396XT! However, when I run them side-by-side, the HP1 seems to engage P25 talk much faster than the 396XT! I combed the forums and read about changing the P25 delay from default of 400 to 0, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. In example, I will miss the first word or two of transmission received on the HP1 before the XT kicks it in. And if the only spoken transmission from a unit or dispatcher is "10-4", I will get it on the HP1, but often miss it on the XT. Both units (btw) were programmed using the same database off of RR, so no difference of me making some manual differences (other than the P25 delay setting I mentioned earlier).

I am struggling to make it right as the 396XT is really an impressive scanner, and its portability and ease of programming I would love to stay with it, however, I cannot accept the difference in reception, and if I cannot get a fix to this, it will have to go back to the store.

Can someone provide a fix, or is it one of those distinct differences in quality between the HP 1 and the XT?

Thanks in advance

marksmith

I have several of each of those radios and I set the xt's to 0 from 400. Both radios seem to receive at almost the same instant in my case with no missing the beginning of transmissions. I conclude this not to be a "distinct difference" between the 396xt and HP1 or HP2.
Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Voyager

Is the HOLD TIME on the XT set to 0 seconds for all systems programmed?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd be tempted to see if changing the 396's P25 Adjust Mode and P25 Adjust Level values have any impact.

Voyager

If you like the hold time set to 2 (which will force the scanner to stay on the same system for 2 seconds), maybe set your 396XT to 2 and see if that makes it work how you want it to work.

BTW, setting P25 Wait from 400 to 0 won't make any difference on the P25 decode. It will only affect analog audio - forcing it to wait x mS to see if the signal is a P25 signal.

The adjust mode setting is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.