BCD436HP / BCD536HP Repair Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksmith

This addresses the real time clock. Will there be a similar program for the very dim screen on the 536?

Would rather ship it away just once.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Please use this thread for questions about the repair campaign only. Off-topic comments will be deleted and infractions will be issued. No warnings.

sator1

BCDX36 Repair Campaign

Question: Upon trying to enter the Serial Number for my BCD 536 for the BCDX36 Repair Campaign, I entered the Serial Number that is displayed on the display screen of the radio. The field would not take all of the numbers displayed. I then entered the Serial Number listed on the back of the radio. The numbers were almost the same with the exception of additional numbers in the middle of the list of numbers and a letter. At any rate, the numbers on the back of the radio fit the field. So my question is why is there a difference between the Serial Number embedded in the radio software as opposed to the Serial Number printed on the back of the radio? Just curious.
Thanx, -F-

Theo

Premium Subscriber
This addresses the real time clock. Will there be a similar program for the very dim screen on the 536?

Would rather ship it away just once.

Mark
Agreed!

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to ask a silly question. My 436 has the RTC, but my 536 has not experienced it yet. Should I still send it anyway, as a preventative measure, or wait and see if it fails.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Will the repair shop take care of the headphone recall issue at the same time?

I never sent mine in since I don't use the headphone jack but if it's there already, might as well have it fixed.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Will the repair shop take care of the headphone recall issue at the same time?

I never sent mine in since I don't use the headphone jack but if it's there already, might as well have it fixed.

Neither did I. I seond this question

Voyager

Question: why is there a difference between the Serial Number embedded in the radio software as opposed to the Serial Number printed on the back of the radio? Just curious.

Yes, the SN and ESN are slightly different. I suspect it may have something to do with the fact the ESN is numeric and the SN is alphanumeric (or some similar distinction). You cannot represent Z in a hex format in a single character. In short, the storage medium of data may have necessitated the slight variance.

But, the answer is to use the SN not the ESN.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I know a lot of folks will want to send their scanners in sooner rather than later. Personally I'm in no rush as I have not yet seen the issue on either of my scanners.

Is there an anticipated "Last Call" time as in if you do not send the scanner back by a certain date, the campaign is over?

kellykeeton

question, can I fill out the form at two different times - I have two scanners and don't want to be "scannerless" for 3 weeks can I fill out the form for one scanner wait and get it back .. then fill out the forum for another scanner after that?

or do i get a shipping label for each "box" and then I can just ship them back when I want?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I am checking on some of the other questions.

For the last one (K7MHI), we would certainly prefer that you ship all at once, as that would minimize our cost (which is already substantial). That said, if you fill it out more than once (i.e. once for each unit), you'll get separate shipping labels. If you fill it out once with all units, you'll get a single shipping label. The rest, I leave up to you.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'll add that we would also like everyone to sign up as soon as possible. While we've not set an end date for the campaign, we want to get a gauge on the real number of units affected so that we can be sure we've ordered an adequate number of repair parts and sufficiently allocated resources to the program. I'm relatively certain that there are more than a dozen units affected. :)

marksmith

I would like to send it in for both clock and dim display issue. As with your earlier comment I presume the cost would be lower to do both at the same time. Can it be sent in yet for the dim display?

Mark

MStep

I'll add that we would also like everyone to sign up as soon as possible. While we've not set an end date for the campaign, we want to get a gauge on the real number of units affected so that we can be sure we've ordered an adequate number of repair parts and sufficiently allocated resources to the program. I'm relatively certain that there are more than a dozen units affected. :)

I would have set up the "campaign" in a different fashion. But I would STRONGLY suggest that you leave the end date "open-ended" because if you don't, EVERYONE, including those who do not currently have the problem, are going to be signing up, just to make sure they get coverage and repairs done before the problem develops on their scanners and before the campaign ends. In that case, you guys are going to get swamped.

You are certainly invited to email me Paul--- I think I have some much more efficient ideas that would prevent that from happening.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We actually want to get as many submissions in as early as possible. We expect at the beginning to have a line set up specifically for this campaign, which will be much more efficient for us than doing onsey-twosey's. That said, we will only send out UPS shipping emails for the number of units we feel we can do without taking more than the promised 3 weeks (which is actually much longer than we expect it to actually take to repair and return). We'll likely send out UPS labels once a week starting either Friday or Monday. So, we'll manage this on our end so that we are not overwhelmed with returned units. Since the scanners are usable (albeit annoyingly so), we think people would really prefer to keep the scanner in service until we send a label rather than us getting a pile of scanners that might take a year to fix (exaggeration) and having to wait for it to come back.

Again, though, as noted on the web page, we only have parts in right now for the BCD536HP, so won't be sending any labels out to BCD436HP customers until some time in November.

To reply to the earlier open questions:

This program is only for bad clock batteries. If your scanner does not have the battery issue, please do not send it in under this program. That said, if a scanner is received with the battery issue and it also has the backlight and/or headphone issue, we will, of course, repair the other issues at the same time. Note, however, that units that require more than just the battery replacement will take a bit longer to return to you.

We are basically setting up a dedicated line just for the battery issue. Any scanner with another issue will go over to the normal repair queue. While we will be doing visual checks, please include a note that clearly indicates that you believe that your scanner has one of the other issues, as well, so that we can expedite handling for everyone.

troymail

Silent Key
We actually want to get as many submissions in as early as possible. We expect at the beginning to have a line set up specifically for this campaign, which will be much more efficient for us than doing onsey-twosey's. That said, we will only send out UPS shipping emails for the number of units we feel we can do without taking more than the promised 3 weeks (which is actually much longer than we expect it to actually take to repair and return). We'll likely send out UPS labels once a week starting either Friday or Monday. So, we'll manage this on our end so that we are not overwhelmed with returned units. Since the scanners are usable (albeit annoyingly so), we think people would really prefer to keep the scanner in service until we send a label rather than us getting a pile of scanners that might take a year to fix (exaggeration) and having to wait for it to come back.

Again, though, as noted on the web page, we only have parts in right now for the BCD536HP, so won't be sending any labels out to BCD436HP customers until some time in November.

To reply to the earlier open questions:

This program is only for bad clock batteries. If your scanner does not have the battery issue, please do not send it in under this program. That said, if a scanner is received with the battery issue and it also has the backlight and/or headphone issue, we will, of course, repair the other issues at the same time. Note, however, that units that require more than just the battery replacement will take a bit longer to return to you.

We are basically setting up a dedicated line just for the battery issue. Any scanner with another issue will go over to the normal repair queue. While we will be doing visual checks, please include a note that clearly indicates that you believe that your scanner has one of the other issues, as well, so that we can expedite handling for everyone.

Does this imply there is a known fix for the backlight issue or will that apply the same things we have that already failed and thus will fail again (making it a temporary fix) - and, thus will need to be sent in again in the future to fix that again?

I assume that latter...

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I sign up for both units. I have try to enter the whole SN but won't finish the last 2-3 so I have to start the number after "0" is that correct?

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I sign up for both units. I have try to enter the whole SN but won't finish the last 2-3 so I have to start the number after "0" is that correct?

Enter the serial number located on the back of the scanner, not the ESN that is located in the menu option.

Status
Not open for further replies.