GPS Attachment(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this one, so this forum seemed pretty safe.

I'm looking for a GPS unit to connect to the BCD325P2. I want to use it in the car, so one with some sort of 12VDC lighter or USB power plug is preferred. The BC-GPSK looks sort of like it would work, but the DB9 is wrong. I would need something like that but with a mini-USB to connect to the scanner.

Can someone help point me in the right direction? Thanks!

WQPW689

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this one, so this forum seemed pretty safe.

I'm looking for a GPS unit to connect to the BCD325P2. I want to use it in the car, so one with some sort of 12VDC lighter or USB power plug is preferred. The BC-GPSK looks sort of like it would work, but the DB9 is wrong. I would need something like that but with a mini-USB to connect to the scanner.

Can someone help point me in the right direction? Thanks!

There's a cable adapts the BC-GPSK to the BCD325P2 here:

https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/bc-utgc-gps-usb-cable.html

I'm just wondering if it's actually needed. Did they not put the same style GPS port on the 325P2 as they did the BCD436HP? Because my BC-GPSK unit came with a proper adapter cable from the DB9 to the 436 scanner port.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I'm just wondering if it's actually needed. Did they not put the same style GPS port on the 325P2 as they did the BCD436HP? Because my BC-GPSK unit came with a proper adapter cable from the DB9 to the 436 scanner port.

Thank you... that seems to be what I'm looking for. To answer your question... the 436 seems to have a different plug than the 325, which uses a regular mini-USB male plug to interface with the radio. From what I can tell, the 436 uses a USB 4-Pin Mini B Male.

I appreciate the info on the BC-UTGC cable.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
There's a cable adapts the BC-GPSK to the BCD325P2 here:

https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/bc-utgc-gps-usb-cable.html

I think that connector is called a "Mini USB 4-pin" ... Not like the standard USB micro or mini... It's more squared off... That is what the 436 has...

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Copy all. Thanks again, Randy and WQPW689. Those links help set me on the right path.

Chuck
KD9FBF

Voyager

I think that connector is called a "Mini USB 4-pin" ... Not like the standard USB micro or mini... It's more squared off... That is what the 436 has...

Note that he stated that is the cable for the 325P2 which is a standard USB Mini connection.

Yes, the 436 uses a different connector for GPS, and that is not a standard connector - at least not a common standard one.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Note that he stated that is the cable for the 325P2 which is a standard USB Mini connection.

Yes, the 436 uses a different connector for GPS, and that is not a standard connector - at least not a common standard one.

I know that... I just stated that the 436 uses the USB mini 4-pin... And it is not like the regular USB's

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I just ordered the BC-UTGC from Uniden directly. I may get the puck off of Amazon. Seems cheaper there.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I'd still like to try out that GlobalSat BR-355 Serial GPS Receiver for about $35 instead of the Uniden BC-GPSK which is more than twice the price. Looks like the BR-355 would work, assuming the connector is the same as the Uniden.

Thoughts?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
The only thing I can say is you need a GPS that has a NMEA output.
You will have to verify that first or it wont work proper connection or not...

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
The only thing I can say is you need a GPS that has a NMEA output.

Good point. The description says " Compatible with most all NMEA compliant third-party software" so it looks like it is compatible in that regard. Just have to see what I can find out about that connector.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I did a bing search for "BR-355 Serial GPS"... under the image's there is a pict that shows the connector...

That same pict will show up under google too...

Last edited:

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I did a bing search for "BR-355 Serial GPS"... under the image's there is a pict that shows the connector...

Ya, I compared Amazon listings. They both look like a PS2 male. I might give it a go. Can always return it if it doesn't fit and apply the credit to the Uniden version.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Ya, I compared Amazon listings. They both look like a PS2 male. I might give it a go. Can always return it if it doesn't fit and apply the credit to the Uniden version.

PS2 or a DIN style..

Good luck... Hope it works out for you...

Last edited:

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Seems pretty universal, which makes sense, I guess. Otherwise they'd all be kind of manufacturer specific. I think I'm going to go for it. I'll report back on how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.