BCD325P2 Battery Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastormg2

Good Evening.
I am using 2 2500 MAH batteries for my scanner. But it seems the battery life even when I have the battery saver turned on is about 5 to 6 hours. And after that period of time I get the flashing battery on the upper right side of the screen and then eventually the scanner shuts off.

Is there any other ways that you can extend the battery life. It's pretty bad when you can't get at least 8 or more hours from the batteries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Voyager

You might be able to get a little more out of higher capacity cells, but likely won't reach 8 hours. 2 cells can only do so much. I guess Uniden chose the larger display over the 3-cell design of the BCD396XT to satisfy those who complained about the display.

You can also use an external cellphone power pack through the USB connector. Then you can get as much life as you are willing to put up with size.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Voyager: Related question. Will the USB power the scanner with batteries installed?

I like to leave my scanner on overnight and obviously I can't do this on batteries. It's a PITA having to take them out every night.

D

darunimal

Yup, you can leave the batteries in and it will use external battery pack juice first, I do it every night.

Last edited:

wtp

about the battery save. it only works on a conventional system while holding on one frequency.
also OP I sent a personal message.

I also think the battery life is shorter than my older 3-AA BCD396T/BCD396XT. I was looking at potential drop-in Li-ion replacements for the side-by-side AA's, and it looks like the CRV3 is an option, but the ones I found were the same or less than the ~2AH that NiMH AA's would provide which implies that they are not utilizing the entire 2xAA form factor for energy storage.

Anyone find a higher capacity CRV3 or the like? I'd try something that's 3.5AH, but below that, it's not worth the experiment to me.

Thanks!

pastormg2

I have seen these Mophie USB Batteries. Has anyone used one of these for the BCD325P2 Scanner?
I used 2 2500 MAH batteries this morning and the scanner was quite busy. It lasted for about 4.5 hours but considering the amount of activity it didn't surprise me. Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Voyager

I wonder why only 4.5V output when USB spec is 5V...

Otherwise nice unit.

Voyager

In the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson... "DOH!!!" :D

They said 4.5A so often I took one of them as 4.5V.
But, as long as it works on the scanners, that's what counts.

I wonder how long until Sofa King finds this error and jumps on my donkey about it...

phask

Premium Subscriber
Amy of those USB packs will do. I have a small one that slips in the pocket when I grab the cell and OOPS it's nearly dead. It runs a 325 all day. I keep a bigger one in the car, it will run a 325 for a few days or a HP2 for 2.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Amy of those USB packs will do. I have a small one that slips in the pocket when I grab the cell and OOPS it's nearly dead. It runs a 325 all day. I keep a bigger one in the car, it will run a 325 for a few days or a HP2 for 2.

Yeah... It's overkill... But it wasn't bought for use with the scanner... But I do use it from time to time with it... One half the ampacity would be more than enough... Hard to resist the price of that pack though...

pastormg2

It says in the advertisement that lithium battery is required. What is that all about? It sounds great that all you have to do is attach it to the scanner and it runs all day. Mark Griffin KB3Z

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
It says in the advertisement that lithium battery is required. What is that all about? It sounds great that all you have to do is attach it to the scanner and it runs all day. Mark Griffin KB3Z

If your talking about the link I posted... I saw that too...
It has the batt's in it... I think that's a typo... Typos are very common on amazon...

pastormg2

Randy,
I just ordered the 26800 model. That should power the scanner for the 8 hours that I am at work.
Thanks again for your suggestion. Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Voyager

LOL That should power it for about 60 hours!

Gonna have to get one of those for the new Winbook which only lasts a couple hours on their battery. (makes 5 hours look great).

Status
Not open for further replies.