HP-2: HP-2 Goods and bads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrogoth13

Well, I just got my HP-2 via UPS yesterday. It came in a surprisingly small box the size of two bricks in a pile. The unit itself is very well made and feels it. The big display is not the best but works well for what it tries to do. The antenna connector is sturdy and the battery compartment is good and tough. I doubt the micro USB port will survive a lot of use but use it you must as it's how you charge it and update the main database every week. None of them on the other equipment I own have lasted. None of the 3 ports have a water cover either so keep your HP indoors. The 4 big 2300 AA batteries will last a day and a quarter before requiring a 17 hour recharge (internal) or 4 hours in a decent charger. The included antenna is a sad joke so you'll want to buy an L adaptor and a good dual band SMA whip to add to your HP's range. Listening to 800Mhz audio feels like the guy on the mic is seated right next to you, it's that good. On the other hand AM aircraft audio is the reverse. The usual sharp and loud AM is missing entirely and sounds muddy and muffled. That should be fixed with the next firmware update, I hope. Adding a freq' from the big database to your Favorites takes at least 4 button pushes. Every time you add one. That's 3 too many. I strongly suggest removing the Help or GPS icon from the main screen and replacing it with "+FAV" or some such. Digital and trunked systems sound fantastic. Almost just like my old ASTRO Saber

In most ways this little thing is a miracle of technology, but not all ways. It still needs a bit of improvement. I sure hope it gets them.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
On my HP1...considering that I check the RRDB once a week or so, and look for updates to my areas of interest, I do not update the database once a week. sometimes go a month or more before I remember to update. My micro USB has survived more than three years of this, with no signs of wear.
Thanks for the quick review!

kc2kth

The display is something on the hp2 I wasn't a big fan of either, but it does its job as you've observed. Maybe display quality will be updated in the hp3!

Status
Not open for further replies.