BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Programming DMR summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

With the release of DMR beta firmware for the BCD436/536HP scanners, I wanted to get some clarification of programming them manually outside the DMR Upgrade monster thread:

Given the fact that the beta might not be working 100%:

1) A single DMR frequency just requires DMR One Frequency system and you can either/or choose to enter Talk Group ID's or just Search. Color code is not an option yet.

2) A Connect + system requires MotoTrbo Trunk system and (must have LCN entered in?) Everything from DMR One Frequency is the same

3) A Capacity + system requires (same question as above)

4) MotoTrbo type III ?

5) In search mode, only the indication of the DMR type is indicated and demodulation if there is voice traffic with color code.

6) If one is doing a Custom Search and discovers a CAP or CON DMR system, how can one figure out the frequencies used without a database if at all?

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1-4: DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki (with an add that there is no such thing as MotoTRBO Type III, but there is DMR Level III).

5. Correct (and maybe in that same link, above)

6. One will have a tough time using only a scanner. I have been first checking to try to find the FCC license that corresponds to the known frequency. Then, I use a SDR/PC combo to watch the spectrum while monitoring the rest/control channel using DSD and try to validate that other frequencies on the license correlate with activity indicated by DSD channel grant/update messages. For Connect Plus, I can then tune to the candidate frequency and see if they have the same Network/Site IDs. If so, then they belong together. Capacity Plus does not transmit any IDs, so I just have to watch/listen. Eventually, the rest channel moves somewhere else...I try to find the Capacity Plus rest channel, again, in nearby spectrum. But, nearby could be 10 MHz away, which is impossible to see on a +/- 1 MHz spectrum view, which is all you get with RTL-SDR (but, hey, it was $15). Now playing with SDRPlay (+/- 4 MHz spectrum view) with a HackRF One on the way (+/- 10 MHz spectrum view).

Practically, it might be cheaper to find out where the radio system engineer hangs out after work and buy him/her a beer or two while trying to pump him/her for information.

KA2ZEY

1-4: DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki (with an add that there is no such thing as MotoTRBO Type III, but there is DMR Level III).

5. Correct (and maybe in that same link, above)

6. One will have a tough time using only a scanner. I have been first checking to try to find the FCC license that corresponds to the known frequency. Then, I use a SDR/PC combo to watch the spectrum while monitoring the rest/control channel using DSD and try to validate that other frequencies on the license correlate with activity indicated by DSD channel grant/update messages. For Connect Plus, I can then tune to the candidate frequency and see if they have the same Network/Site IDs. If so, then they belong together. Capacity Plus does not transmit any IDs, so I just have to watch/listen. Eventually, the rest channel moves somewhere else...I try to find the Capacity Plus rest channel, again, in nearby spectrum. But, nearby could be 10 MHz away, which is impossible to see on a +/- 1 MHz spectrum view, which is all you get with RTL-SDR (but, hey, it was $15). Now playing with SDRPlay (+/- 4 MHz spectrum view) with a HackRF One on the way (+/- 10 MHz spectrum view).

Practically, it might be cheaper to find out where the radio system engineer hangs out after work and buy him/her a beer or two while trying to pump him/her for information.

I like the last suggestion, I'm on it.

D

DaveNF2G

1) A single DMR frequency just requires DMR One Frequency system and you can either/or choose to enter Talk Group ID's or just Search. Color code is not an option yet.

Now that we have a release version, there are several megathreads. I've tried searching, but the sheer volume of hits (many of which do not include my search terms at all) is mind boggling.

I have several one frequency DMR systems programmed into my 436. Some of them are in CC Search. When there is traffic, I see TGID and Slot, but no Color Code.

If CC display is supported for these systems now, how do I get to see it?

jkmail

I just upgraded to DMR. I am trying to figure out how to receive transmissions from a Vertex Standard EVX-531 Radio. Any help ? How to program it in a BCD436HP. Thanks

blackbelter

Does 436 shows DMR on screen when locked into a proper DMR frequency?
I have chosen all related services.
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.