BCD325P2/BCD996P2 Test Firmware for Motorola Patch Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Since this is not widely seen, it doesn't make sense to limit to our normal beta testers (none are in San Diego, for instance). The process for doing the update during testing is more complicated than a public release. So, please read the below carefully.

Apply using BC_VUP for Beta: http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/PartnerWeb/BCD996P2_Beta/BC_VUP_BETA_TESTER_V3_02_01.zip

In case you don't have the serial driver: http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/PartnerWeb/BCD996P2_Beta/uniden_usbser.zip

And, the actual firmware payload files:
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD325P2FirmwareUpdate/BCDxxxP2_V1_07_00.zip

Even though the above links show a particular model #, they work for both models.

1) Make sure you've installed the serial driver (your scanner will be assigned to a COM port when you plug it in).

2) Unzip and install the Beta version of BC_VUP.

3) Unzip the firmware payload file (2 files inside, one for each model).

4) Run the beta version of BC_VUP and follow the prompts to select the payload file for your model and apply it to your scanner.

A few comments:
a) No, I do not publicly comment on pending updates until we are ready to comment on pending updates.
b) Emails received asking whether we will do a particular update are deleted unanswered.
c) Phone call messages received asking whether we will do a particular update are not returned.

Please post results to this thread.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I put the file on the wrong server. If you have tried and only got 1.06.00, try again.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Paul,

There is also a confirmed bug with these two particular models that allows them to unmute for encrypted TDMA transmissions.

I understand your policy of not commenting on these things, however it would be appreciated if you could make the engineers aware of the issue, so that perhaps it can be addressed in a future firmware release.

Thanks!

FlashP

I installed the update without issues, but don't see any improvement. The control channel output still misses the patched talkgroups, which make up half the traffic on a local 700 MHz system.

FAIL.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure the update was just to fix issues with the San Diego County 800mhz Motorola Type II sysyem that uses analog and P25 where the scanners were getting the audio from one TG confused with another TG. I don't think it's intended to fix P25 patches.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw641sv2hn97om9/996P2-PatchDebug.zip?raw=1

p25 patch debug information from 996p2 after the firmware update was applied... in case it's useful.

from same system that FlashP is referring to...included are logs from pro96com (full logging) and unitrunker logs from disc tap.

oddly, pro96com doesn't even acknowledge the p25 patches in its software.

also the 996p2 sees the correct talkgroup but no audio passes thru...

FlashP

There's a related issue with the Phase2 that hasn't been addressed, more of a necessary new feature and not a bug. I can't see any command in the protocol for tuning the receiver to particular slot via external control.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Would be nice for uniden to give the user (owner) of the scanner the option to "unmute" for encrypted channels.

D

darunimal

Can we get Manual P25 Decode Threshold for each System/Site like the BCD396T not just the whole scanner please.

D

darunimal

Any where you can get to them (desktop, folder) and unzip them

Even though the above links show a particular model #, they work for both models.

1) Make sure you've installed the serial driver (your scanner will be assigned to a COM port when you plug it in).

2) Unzip and install the Beta version of BC_VUP.

3a)Download payload file onto desktop

3b)Unzip the firmware payload file (2 files inside, one for each model).

4) Run the beta version of BC_VUP and follow the prompts to select the payload file for your model and apply it to your scanner.

Save the firmware bin files anywhere you want or delete them after you've upgraded, it's up-to the user to decide whether they would like a a copy for future reference but it's a "user best practice" to maintain a folder of older firmware bin files, in-case a future firmware is released with a bug, user can revert to an earlier version quickly and easily if necessary.

Last edited:

JoeyC

I lost track of this problem when my 536HP was corrected with the latest firmware. Today I put the 996XT in service in the house only to discover these same patching issues exist on this scanner as well. I hadn't been using the 996XT on the RCS in its previous location.

Does this firmware referenced above work on the 996XT as well? I don't imagine releasing a fix for this old scanner is going to happen unfortunately.

FlashP

This firmware update won't work for the XTs. That said, the XT with its latest firmware has fewer issues than the P2s, particularly if you're using the control channel output.

JamesO

Where does this Beta stand at the moment?

The 1.07.00 firmware link does not work properly, get a 404 No Found error.

FlashP

New firmware release

The new firmware is supposed to have a fix for this, but I see no improvement. The patched traffic will only show up on one of the merged talkgroups, and since you don't know which one that will be ahead of time, you have to program all talkgroups and not lock them out.

The control channel dump still misses ALL the patched traffic. Ugh.

redtrailb

Premium Subscriber
I also see no improvement with the new firmware (1.07.06). Using Pro96Com I can see that two talkgroups on the system I'm monitoring are patched (1001 ---> 1002), meaning any traffic on 1001 or 1002 will appear on the system as 1002 (the supergroup). If I hold on 1002 I hear the traffic. If I hold on 1001 I hear nothing. UPMan- if this new firmware was working correctly shouldn't I be able to hold on either talkgroup if they're patched and not have to use a separate piece of software to determine the supergroup in the patch?

redtrailb

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone found any other workarounds for this issue besides running Pro96Com to find the patch table information and manually selecting the supergroup? At home this isn't an issue but when mobile this is not practical. I understand that Whistler scanners do not have this problem but I don't want to replace my current equipment unless it becomes clear that Uniden has no intention of fixing this. UPMan, I understand your rules of conduct for responses but I would be very appreciative of a response to my previous post on whether or not what I'm describing is normal operation and the intended result of the firmware update regarding the issue in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.