BCD996XT garbled trunking reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
I am in the South bend area and all of my conventional systems are extremely clear. But, the 2 trunked systems I monitor are much closer yet garbled. I understand this could have something to do with simoulcasting. Does anybody have any input That might help. The trunking systems are Mishawaka and Hoosier safe_t.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Best thing to try is taking your scanner close to one of the simulcast, such as 1/4 mile away. If received signals clear up, that confirms simulcast distortion.

If that's the case, do a search in this forum. Suggestions for improvement have already been posted.

marksmith

Generally you are talking about directional (or if real strong, a lousy) antenna and turning attenuation on for those systems.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
SAFE-T is still Motorola SmartZone (Type II) in South Bend area. So if you're having issues now, you are in for headaches for real once the P25 conversion hits.

isusbcya

Premium Subscriber
The new system is to be fired up Friday.Is there anything I should be doing to get it reprogrammed ahead of the cut over?

INDY72

The new system is to be fired up Friday.Is there anything I should be doing to get it reprogrammed ahead of the cut over?

Go to the IN forums, where all things SAFE-T and IN are being discussed. :) There is literally buttloads of information on that forum area!

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
If the system I'm monitoring is a Motorola SmartZone (Type II), does it make sense to make any of the P25 tweaks I,be read about?

INDY72

The tweaks will help with Type II simulcasts, but the multipath distortion is FAR FAR worse on P25. The SAFE-T in your area is converting to P25 over the next few days, or end of next week. Your talking about the St. Joseph County Simulcast site correct? You will do better discussing this in the IN forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
If it is simulcast, either get a Yagi antenna to focus on one of the towers, OR, get a worse antenna which would make the scanner more "deaf" and thus focus on one tower.

bailly2

best thing for simulcast distortion is put the antenna through a hole in the side of an empty paint can near the bottom. even works good while mobile

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
best thing for simulcast distortion is put the antenna through a hole in the side of an empty paint can near the bottom. even works good while mobile

Why do you keep posting this? It detunes the antenna and attenuates the signal. Attenuation is not a panacea for simulcast issues. Attenuation works occasionally, but is certainly not the "best" thing to do, especially if you also monitor non-simulcast frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.