Power Issue While Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basic_J

I just purchased a 536 a couple of weeks ago. I'm just getting up to speed with it, but have been pretty happy. I also purchased a BC-GPSK to use when traveling. The problem is when I put the scanner in the car it doesn't power up. The attached GPS does. I've tried the other standard 12V adapter without the GPS, also with no success. When I bring the scanner back in the house, it works fine. I've double checked both 12V ports in the car with other devices and they work fine. Am I missing something really basic here? I hope this isn't a topic that's been covered over and over again. I'm new to the forum. Thanks in advance.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you have a multi-meter, you could use it to check if you are getting 12 volts at the "business end" of the power wire. I suspect you might have a fuse issue.

Are you using the Cigarette Lighter Power Cord or the DC Cord with Orange wire?

If you are using the Cigarette Lighter cord, you can unscrew the end of the part that plugs into the lighter and examine the fuse to see if it is blown. (These things can also wiggle loose pretty easy).

The DC cord is probably a better choice if you are handy with wiring. It's a lot more stable. It too has a fuse.

Basic_J

Well, I got the standard cigarette lighter power cord to work today without changing anything. The BC-GPSK GPS receiver plugs directly into the DB-9 RS-232 port. It also has a 12V plug (cigarette lighter) attached. Does this power the scanner at the same time as the GPS, or do I need to use both cords plugged into both both 12V ports in the car? I know the GPS is getting power as I am seeing the lights on both the GPS antenna and power plug. If the GPS cable powers both, I wonder if I have a unit with a defective RS-232 port.I am not using the bundle with the orange cables.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can't use the GPS to power the scanner. The scanner has to have its own power connection.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Each "thing" requires its own power supply. The reason is the scanner requires 12 volts and the GPS device is less (5 volts I think). There is something in the GPS cigaretter lighter plug that steps the voltage down.

If your scanner is permanently mounted in your vehicle, I highly recommend hard wiring versus cigarette light stuff. Bumps and jars can cause disconnections.

You can probably find a place on your fuse block to connect the DC power wire. Any chassis ground works for the negative.

Resist any temptation to cut the plug off the GPS power wire - take it from a guy who found out the hard way. As mentioned about, there is something in that plug to step voltage down. If you wire the puck directly to 12 Volts, it will be destroyed.

What I did was get a cigaretter lighter extension cable and cut the male plug off. I joined the GPS cigarette plug to the female of the extension cable and taped it securely. I used the same power circuit for the scanner (which was also used for an amplified speaker).

Basic_J

OK, I apologize. I don't know where my brain went thinking the 422 connector would provide a power source for the scanner. My unit isn't permanently mounted and will be moved in and out frequently. For the time being I'm going to stick with using the two 12V cables as my car has two ports (quite convenient). The power cable for the scanner that didn't originally work does now for reasons unknown. Thanks for the responses and recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.