DMR Capacity+: Why...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 freqs out of a five channel system that I have ID'd the LCN (LCN 1 and 2). The is not busy so the odds of more than 3 talkgroups being active, in order to ID the LCNs of the additional freqs is next to nil.

So then am I out of luck as far as being able to program this system as MotoTRBO trunked in my 536HP?

Why is it that if the first two freqs are ID'd as LCN 1 and 2 and the rest channel only moves between the 2 slots for each of those freqs can I not program those freqs into the scanner and it will pick up the active talkgroups that occur on those freqs?

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure that they use all 5 frequencies? Even though they may be licensed for other frequencies, that doesn't necessarily mean they are all part of the system.

I would say that if you program in LCN's 1 and 2 and aren't missing any traffic, then you are good to go.

If I understand the last part of your question, the scanner does not track the rest channel, so you need to have all the LCN's programmed. You can program them conventionally, but it won't track talkgroups correctly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ubbe

Program those other frquencies as conventional and with an alert tone.

When they start to be active with restchannels and TG's then its the time to run LCN analyzer.
In the mean time program them in frequency order in the system and hope for the best.

/Ubbe

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure that they use all 5 frequencies? Even though they may be licensed for other frequencies, that doesn't necessarily mean they are all part of the system.

I am not sure if all 5 freqs are used since the system is not that active. I am using DSD+ to figure out what freqs are used.

I would say that if you program in LCN's 1 and 2 and aren't missing any traffic, then you are good to go.

I am hearing NO traffic with LCNs 1 and 2 only programmed. And if I program the other freqs and mark them as LCN 0 I also receive NO traffic.

If I understand the last part of your question, the scanner does not track the rest channel, so you need to have all the LCN's programmed. You can program them conventionally, but it won't track talkgroups correctly.

Hmm, interesting that the scanner doesn't track the rest channel. As I understand it, the rest channel occupies one of the two channel slots on a given frequency and the next talkgroup activation on the system will begin on that slot (where the rest channel is). And that the rest channel will move to the next slot along with the other radios not on the same talkgroup of the first conversation. Next talkgroup activation will then be on the slot (2) where the rest channel moved to upon the first talkgroup activation. Could be slot 2 of the LCN1 freq or the first slot on the LCN2 frequency.

And then maybe that's the problem with Uniden scanners monitoring DMR Capacity Plus trunked systems: not listening to the rest channel.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I've found with normal LTR it seems to work okay and I don't miss much when having only three of the five LCNs figured out. I don't know if that applies to DMR systems as well but it might.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. After all these years there is absolutely no reason why Uniden shouldn't have auto LCN capability on their radios. GRE/RS and Whistler all do and have had it for many years.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Are you running the test firmware found here?

https://forums.radioreference.com/2759063-post390.html

This firmware fixes some bugs related to Cap+ systems.

I am using that firmware version.

I just re-programmed the radio with several variations of the radio system.
1) MotoTRBO, all 5 freqs
2) MotoTRBO, 3 freqs with ID'd LCN
3) DMR OFT, all 5 freqs.
4) Conventional, all 5 freqs.

Then I'll see and hear what I get out of that.

So far I hear calls on the conventional mode.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I've found with normal LTR it seems to work okay and I don't miss much when having only three of the five LCNs figured out. I don't know if that applies to DMR systems as well but it might.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. After all these years there is absolutely no reason why Uniden shouldn't have auto LCN capability on their radios. GRE/RS and Whistler all do and have had it for many years.

So far I am greatly unimpressed with these radios (I bought a 436 and 536).

Something ain't right if I can receive voice from a DMR trunked system in conventional mode and not in MotoTRBO mode. Seems as if this radio feature was pushed out too early.

I sold 2 radios, 1 Uniden and 1 GRECOM, that were working just fine. I bought the 436 and 536 in order to listen to DMR trunked systems.

I can only hope that a firmware fix is on the way soon for these radios so that DMR trunked systems can be monitored a bit easier.

:mad:

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I am using that firmware version.

I just re-programmed the radio with several variations of the radio system.
1) MotoTRBO, all 5 freqs
2) MotoTRBO, 3 freqs with ID'd LCN
3) DMR OFT, all 5 freqs.
4) Conventional, all 5 freqs.

Then I'll see and hear what I get out of that.

So far I hear calls on the conventional mode.

From the above configurations I only receive calls on the conventional mode. Makes no sense to me. :mad:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Post your findings in the thread I linked. Uniden is aware that DMR firmware has issues, and is working on the problems.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 freqs out of a five channel system that I have ID'd the LCN (LCN 1 and 2). The is not busy so the odds of more than 3 talkgroups being active, in order to ID the LCNs of the additional freqs is next to nil.

So then am I out of luck as far as being able to program this system as MotoTRBO trunked in my 536HP?

Why is it that if the first two freqs are ID'd as LCN 1 and 2 and the rest channel only moves between the 2 slots for each of those freqs can I not program those freqs into the scanner and it will pick up the active talkgroups that occur on those freqs?

You're not alone.

I to have 5 freqs programmed in as a MotoTRBO trunked, f/w version 28. System uses all 5 freqs verified using dsdplus. Ran the lcn finder for 2 days and on an active system, it said it found 3 lcn's. Then it asked If I wanted to save, and I said yes. Used Sentinel to view the system change and it only assigned an lcn to 2 freqs, not the 3 it said it found. Going to try 29 next week but am not expecting much of a change. Did get some traffic on the 436 but not all that dsd was showing...

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
You're not alone.

I to have 5 freqs programmed in as a MotoTRBO trunked, f/w version 28. System uses all 5 freqs verified using dsdplus. Ran the lcn finder for 2 days and on an active system, it said it found 3 lcn's. Then it asked If I wanted to save, and I said yes. Used Sentinel to view the system change and it only assigned an lcn to 2 freqs, not the 3 it said it found. Going to try 29 next week but am not expecting much of a change. Did get some traffic on the 436 but not all that dsd was showing...

Yup, I experienced the same with the LCN finder. This is frustrating,,, to put it mildly. I hope patience pays off and Uniden fixes this problematic radio.

D

DaveNF2G

Actually, there is a very good reason. It is included in your comment.

Whistler already has it, and they have a patent on it.

D

DaveNF2G

Something ain't right if I can receive voice from a DMR trunked system in conventional mode and not in MotoTRBO mode. Seems as if this radio feature was pushed out too early.

And yet the forums are loaded with whining about NXDN not being available yet. LOL.

(Not necessarily from you. I just picked your remark to make the point.)

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Actually, there is a very good reason. It is included in your comment.

Whistler already has it, and they have a patent on it.

And no one else can figure out a legitimate method for accomplishing the same thing without using GRE/RS/Whistler's method?

There used to be an old saying........

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
So far I am greatly unimpressed with these radios (I bought a 436 and 536).

I sold 2 radios, 1 Uniden and 1 GRECOM, that were working just fine. I bought the 436 and 536 in order to listen to DMR trunked systems.

I can only hope that a firmware fix is on the way soon for these radios so that DMR trunked systems can be monitored a bit easier.

:mad:

Overall I am extremely pleased with both my 436 and my 536. The LCN issue on LTR and now DMR is an issue for certain although the DMR part doesn't affect me unless I'm traveling outside my home area. For P25 it works wonderfully and that is what I have along with analog out here.

I hope they get it fixed as well. When I have found trunked DMR systems I don't have time to screw around and run LCN finder on them. Being able to find and put the freqs in and have it scan correctly is what is needed.

I take my 536 with me running around and I can't scan systems I find because of this longstanding issue.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
And yet the forums are loaded with whining about NXDN not being available yet. LOL.

(Not necessarily from you. I just picked your remark to make the point.)

I'm not up on the NXDN concerns. But I do expect that if a radio is sold as DMR capable that it should work as advertised.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Overall I am extremely pleased with both my 436 and my 536. The LCN issue on LTR and now DMR is an issue for certain although the DMR part doesn't affect me unless I'm traveling outside my home area. For P25 it works wonderfully and that is what I have along with analog out here.

I hope they get it fixed as well. When I have found trunked DMR systems I don't have time to screw around and run LCN finder on them. Being able to find and put the freqs in and have it scan correctly is what is needed.

I take my 536 with me running around and I can't scan systems I find because of this longstanding issue.

Other than the failing clock on my 536 (fails before and after being sent to Uniden for repair) and the faulty DMR operations these radios are to my liking. I like the programming functionality compared to the radios I sold to make room for the 436 and 536. And the GPS function of the BCD996XT is one reason I decided to upgrade to the 536. The other was the DMR capability. If I knew what I know now I would not have made the purchase for either radio (436 and 536) and the subsequent DMR upgrades. I hope to see a fix for the DMR issues soon.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
DMR firmware updates have been being released every week or two, so Uniden is actively working a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.