BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Squelch mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samos2

I can't get any squelch noise on my Uniden BCD436HP scanner, for some reason.
The scanning works normally, but when I press the Function button and press down on the control knob to bring up the squelch control ... and then rotate the knob all the way in both directions, I get no squelch at all although I can still hear the transmissions.
Is there some other squelch control setting that I am not aware of and Ive inadvertanly turned it off? Im baffled. I thought if you rotated the knob far enough in one direction, you'd always hear squelch.
Many thanks.

Samos2

I'm afraid I have no idea if these are digital channels ... and I dont know how to find out. I just got my scanner and am learning from scratch ... what Im listening to is emergency services in southern Ontario, Canada ... ambulances etc.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about Canada sorry look up the system name on in the radio reference db that will let you know if your system is digital or not.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
No trouble I hope you get better acquainted with your new scanner it really is quite fun once you get the hang of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The only time you would hear squelch noise while scanning is when you are scanning a conventional (non-trunked) set of channels and at least one of the channels does not have a PL/DPL set. Otherwise, audio path control is handled by control signaling. If you want to hear the squelch noise, start a service or custom search.

bmfd

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I had the same question and came across your thread and answers. Thank you. So, when monitoring digital does it matter if squelch is set at 0 or 15?

mully95

Hi, I had the same question and came across your thread and answers. Thank you. So, when monitoring digital does it matter if squelch is set at 0 or 15?

I have found I get better reception if I set squelch low. I monitor conventional and digital with squelch set at 2. However with the squelch set low the scanner works better for digital rather than set high.

No Squelch Noise heard

I have noticed this with all my Digital scanners. UPMan said it. If you have setup the PL/CTSS/DPL sub tones for channels, you won't get any noise even at the 0 squelch setting. If you set those tone settings to Off and sit on one channel, you get noise again.

Status
Not open for further replies.