Backlight Display Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

I have my backlight display set to come on when squelch is broke.

If the BCD325P2 is scanning and squelch is broke, the light comes on but it goes out before the transmission is done. Also, if the transmission is stopped and then within a couple of seconds, when another transmission breaks squelch, either on the same frequency or a different one, and there's chatter, the light doesn't always come on. There would have to be quite a few seconds of silence(no squelch break) to get the backlight to come on again when squelch is broke.

I have a BC125AT scanner that the backlight is set to come on when keypress and/or squelch is broke and it works flawlessly: comes on when squelch is broke and stays on for the complete transmission, goes out when the chatter is done. The backlight comes back on again even if squelch is broke immediately after the transmission ends and the backlight has gone out from the previous transmission.

Is there a way to get my backlight to come on my BCD325P2 every time squelch is broke and then go out once the transmission ends, and no sooner?

NYRHKY94

Hi Steve:

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the BCD325P2 has the functionality you are looking for. Of the 5 back light options listed in the manual, the one for breaking squelch is designed to only stay on for 5 seconds. Mine works the way you described yours works with the break squelch option. May be related to the 2 -battery design? I wish this unit had a back lighted keyboard, but other than that it's a great little scanner.

Thanks - Mike

Blackink

It is a nice scanner. The digital comes in clearer than the analog channels.

The backlight on mine is no where as bright as the one seen in this link either.
I have the backlight settings on high too.

Makes me wonder if I got a defective one!

Blackink

I'm back with another question/concern about my backlight not being bright enough.

Every where I've looked: different web sites and on YouTube looking at other BCD325P2 scanners, they all have a brighter display than what I have here.
I've double checked my settings and contrast settings and nothing I do gets the display as bright as others I have looked at. The grayish center is keeping the backlight from been as bright as it should be, in my opinion.

A good way to describe it is to look at this Amazon Link (third pic down from the top) and get the picture where it has the scanner facing towards the right.
Now if you put your cursor over the display, it gets larger. I can see a grayish border that goes all the way around the outside of the display in this link. And the center is very clear.

Well on my scanner, I have just the opposite on my display: the gray part is in the center area and fills in most of the display (just like the clear area in the link above fills most of the center of the display) and the clearer spot runs along the outside border/edge.

I have 2 other scanners, the BC125AT handheld and a BCT15X base unit and both of those units have a nice, clear bright display.

Does anybody think there might be something on the inside of the display on the BCD325P2 scanner that should have been removed before assembly?

I tried taking both a video and a picture, with my cell phone and a Canon Powershot SX110 camera, and can't get a clear picture/video of what I see so I can't upload a good picture for you....sorry!

Blackink

I've added a picture so you can get a better look at the grayish square center with the clear outside border I'm talking about. Plus you can clearly see 3 lights shining from the top of the display down.
I took a side view shot as it shows up better than taking a pic looking straight at the display, although looking at the display straight on with my eyes shows the grayish center much better....

My BC125AT scanner is clear all the way around the display and brighter than this display on the BCD325P2.

So....once again, do you think something is wrong with this display or maybe something should have been removed from the inside of the display during assembly?!?

I'd like your opinions.

Attachments

• BCD325P2 Display 007.JPG
    BCD325P2 Display 007.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 314

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Nothing is wrong with the display. You simply have the contrast set too high, and that is what is making pixels that should be clear start to go dark. Back the contrast down a notch or two, and the problem will go away.

Blackink

Nope, the contrast doesn't change this problem a bit. I've already tried adjusting that before I made any posts asking for suggestions.
Thanks for your help though.....

wtp

i thought that

the backlight was set for 5 seconds because of a patent thing.
that is someone got the patent for the light to stay on during the transmission.
and so as to not pay for it they just went with 5 seconds.

Blackink

Amazon pics are photoshopped from non-working samples.

Maybe so but it's a good example of what I'm trying to describe is wrong with mine. I've looked on YouTube and all of the BCD325P2 scanners I watch have a much brighter screen display than mine.

I have another one coming from Amazon this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.