usb cable with bc296d

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeson

Premium Subscriber
i bought a usb cable on amazon to run my bc296d. it is supposed to be able to work with it programming it.
i cannot get the freescan or proscan to see the radio.using windows 10. i have the baud set the same. and tried port 5 and port 1.
thanks for any help!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You didn't say if you loaded any drivers - and you need to make sure that they are Windows 10 compatible (it's possible Windows 8 drivers will also work). It's a little hard to be specific without knowing which USB cable you got...oh and by the way, Freescan isn't designed to work with the 296 (I can't understand why people keep thinking that) , but ProScan will...Mike

Last edited:

lifeson

Premium Subscriber
You didn't say if you loaded any drivers - and you need to make sure that they are Windows 10 compatible (it's possible Windows 8 drivers will also work). It's a little hard to be specific without knowing which USB cable you got...oh and by the way, Freescan isn't designed to work with the 296 (I can't understand why people keep thinking that) , but ProScan will...Mike

thanks for the reply..
FTDI USB Programming Cable Uniden Scanner BC250 BC296D UBC3300XLT
the drivers loaded for win 10. i can see the cable. but when i try to run programs for the scanner . it doesnt see the scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you let Windoze download the driver for you (not always the best idea) or did you follow the manual instructions that the website says are included?

I am new to Win10 myself, but there's got to be something akin to Device Manager (in Settings?) - and if there's a yellow triangle next to the USB port, the driver is incorrect...Mike

lifeson

Premium Subscriber
Did you let Windoze download the driver for you (not always the best idea) or did you follow the manual instructions that the website says are included?

I am new to Win10 myself, but there's got to be something akin to Device Manager (in Settings?) - and if there's a yellow triangle next to the USB port, the driver is incorrect...Mike

i went to the site and got the drivers. win 10 sees the cable . it is just when i try to run programs for the radio they dont see the radio.. i am pretty good with computers but this is stumping me. haha

lifeson

Premium Subscriber

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If the USB1 cable is grabbing the same port as the one you're trying to use, it will never connect...I'd try the support that's mentioned on the website before trashing the cable...Mike

lifeson

Premium Subscriber
If the USB1 cable is grabbing the same port as the one you're trying to use, it will never connect...I'd try the support that's mentioned on the website before trashing the cable...Mike[
i dont have the usb1 hooked up while i am doing this.. i am going to try support too.. i am waiting to hear back. i was hoping someone on here may have had the same issue..
thanks again!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I would do the following:

1. Set the ProScan comm port to none.
2. Click the auto detect button. If the scanner is communicating, you should see Available BC296D.
3. If the baud rate shown is lower than 56K, set both the scanner and ProScan baud rate to 56 K.

If the above fails, do this:

1. Note the comm port assignment of the USB converter in Win Device Manager.
2. Insurer ProScan comm port is set the same as step 1.
3. Check the scanner baud rate is set to 56 K.
4. Insure the ProScan baud rate is set to 56 K.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There might be an issue where the driver for the USB1 is still resident while you're trying to install this new driver. You may have to drop the USB1 driver before using the one for your 296D - just an outside shot here...Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've had the occasion where two different programs were trying to access the same com port and conflicts happened. When I powered down my computer and start it back up, the ports were cleared so I could use the the port as desired.

Ubbe

Each USB port uses its own set of drivers. Try and use another USB port for the installation of fresh USB drivers for the cable.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.