antenna connection on HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
on the Uniden Home Patrol (HP-1), has anyone exchanged the SMA antenna connection to a BNC connection. I dont like having to use an adapter between the antenna and the scanner. Thank You for your time

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The loss from a decent quality adapter is a small fraction of a dB, and is not something you will ever notice outside of a test bench. Don't worry about it.

ab5r

Jonwienke is correct. You would not detect a different. I have used a SMA to BNC adapter, but for long. It was very clumsy, fragile and seemed prone to disaster. I removed it.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I hate SMA connectors. I have had a dozen or more scanners and the first thing I do out of the box is install the BNC adapter and it remains there for the duration. Like stated above it is a small difference and will not be noticeable.

I frequently change antennas and I find that the BNC connector is easier to use and holds up better than the SMA. The BNC adapter also stabilizes the SMA connector to the scanner frame and prevents damage to the scanner's connection.

Last edited:

AuntEnvy

I'm not a fan of SMA. Thankfully, the HP1 is the only unit that is made that way, for some reason, and I only use it with the stock HP1 antenna when it's on my desk. I use the adapter when mobile with my mag mount/BNC antenna.

As others have said, there is no compromise.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
AuntEnvy ...... agree completely. wonder what Uniden was thinking when they did NOT go to the BNC antenna connection. probably saved a few pennies on each scanner build. Is the HP2 a SMA connection as well

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I'm not a fan of SMA. Thankfully, the HP1 is the only unit that is made that way, for some reason, and I only use it with the stock HP1 antenna when it's on my desk. I use the adapter when mobile with my mag mount/BNC antenna.

As others have said, there is no compromise.
The HP-2 and the BCD436HP have an SMA connector as well and include the adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.