Level Volume Audio Level Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB8E

Premium Subscriber
OK Question:

I have to have a separate, volume level boost/cut for the audio on my BCD436 & 536HP's..

The reason is because you have different people with very different voice's and audio levels.
You have little ladies at dispatch and big loud state troopers at the same time.
So I turn the volume up in order to hear the low audio voices then the loud audio blows up as distortion.

Is there anyway Uniden can add something like that in the next update or maybe an add-on for additional price?

Or would that be complete additional circuitry that would need to be added to the next generations of the Home Patrol Product Line ?

marksmith

There already is a volume offset, but it's by talkgroup or frequency, pending on whether trunked or conventional.

It is not by person. Don’t know how anyone would do that.

AGC is another thing you can try, which attempt to level the volumes, but doesn't really work well.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Ubbe

AGC, automatic gain control, usually brings up the background and noise to an unacceptable level.

Nah, it works exactly as the volume control knob you adjust yourself.

There is always settings to an AGC function that specify how much gain it should increase
and how fast it adjusts the volume up and down. An AGC usually tries to keep the volume
the same independent of the modulation. If a dispatcher speaks very weak the AGC brings up
the volume and any background audio will also increase, exactly as if you turned the volume knob yourself.
There's no magic behind the AGC, it is an automatic volume controller.

/Ubbe

SOFA_KING

The bottom line is AGC on the X36 line really doesn't work well...if at all. But AGC on the Whistler scanners (at least the high-end scanners) DOES work very well. I enjoy listening to my Whistler scanners for that reason, as my Uniden scanners don't do well when audio is all over the place. But Uniden does a better job skipping most encrypted traffic, so you have to decide which brand fits the situation better.

Kind of sad you have to sacrifice one thing to get another. But Whistler has the audio advantage. Heck, they even made DMR sound good when users audio is all miss-adjusted and absolutely horrible to listen to without a good AGC algorithm. Whistler DMR with AGC sounds better than my Moto DMR radios! I guess Uniden didn't put a lot of effort into their AGC...and probably won't after all this time.

Phil

jim202

It's sad that the radio techs that service these Public Safety radio systems are doing such a poor job of adjusting the audio levels on the systems they service. It's also sad that the actual users of these same systems are not complaining about the major differences in the audio levels.

In years past, you never heard the differences in the audio levels between dispatchers and those out in the field. It all goes back to the newer radio techs lacking the ability to understand what they are not doing correctly, or they just don't care. I have to say you can't fix stupid.

Being a radio system consultant that travels around the country a bunch, this is a thing of the new generation of the radio techs that are doing the equipment servicing. They don't seem to be getting the training that the older techs were given. The other possible thing is they just don't give a crap about the work they are doing. You know the less time you spend on the radio equipment, the more time you get to sit in your service vehicle and screw off while still billing the customer. It's a sad state of affairs, but this is what is going on.

Another point I have seen being done is the radio techs don't seem to understand just how to operate their test equipment. If you use a line level test meter, they all have a switch that makes the unit bridge the telephone line or terminates it at 600 Ohms. If you try to measure the line in the 600 Ohm bridged position on a line that already has something connected at both ends, your measurement will be way off. But these techs don't understand just how important it is to have this small switch in the correct position when they take a reading to adjust the line levels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.