BCT15X Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
Hi hive, I have twin BCT15X's in my truck. I live in Texas but travel to California several times a month.
What I would like to achieve is basically have each state in a group. For instance, 1 being Texas, 2 being California, 3 being New Mexico. I'm extremely anal about how my stuff is set up and I don't use GPS but prefer to turn stuff on and off manually. I created several conventional systems and then have groups. I've put everything from Texas in Group 1 QK and everything for California in Group 2 QK. It doesnt seem to be working as desired. Any thoughts?

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
I'll try that tonight, I basically had my systems setup as Fire, Police, Chp, OES etc. then had groups for different things within fire, police chp, OES etc. I'll just wipe it clean and try your way. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeDawg

Definitely want CHP by counties. Over a decade ago since listening to them for years, and when traveling was always turning on and off offices so I was not listening to what was going on 80 miles behind me. Next sector ahead was always on. Picked up crashes and things long before I got there. Not to mention the airborne speed traps out in the desert.

That 40 MHz stuff can really propagate.

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
Oh I agree 100%. Just trying to figure out the best way to get the scanner programmed that way I can quickly turn stuff on/off without diverting too much attention from the road. Haven't tried the gps function, that might be pretty handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Haven't tried the gps function, that might be pretty handy

It's the only way to go when scanning on the road. Other you'll drive yourself crazy (or more likely, into a bridge abutment or ditch) toggling stuff on and off while you are trying to drive.

707Lineman

Premium Subscriber
I've been looking at the Uniden GPS unit and dislike the fact it has to be plugged into a cigarette lighter. I found the hack to get power to the db9 connector. What GPS antennas will work with the BCT15X? I already have 3 NMO antennas on the truck along with a shark fin for the XMRadio. Would prefer to put the GPS antenna up there too. I do have a preference for Laird too if that helps

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You don't need an external antenna for GPS unless the vehicle has no windows or windshield. In a normal vehicle, enough signal will come in through the windshield and window openings to get and maintain a satellite lock. If you modify the scanner to supply 5V on pin 9 of the GPS port as shown here:
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...ernal-gps-mod-tech-support-q.html#post2792617

and put a DB9 plug on the Uniden puck or a GlobalSat BR-355S4 puck (the Uniden unit appears to be a rebrand of this) you can put the puck anywhere in the passenger compartment with a window view and it will get and keep a satellite lock unless you are in a tunnel or a lower floor of a parking garage or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.