436HP SD Card Read Error... fixes not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

elisherer

The other day, my 436HP (which was sitting happily just hours earlier) stopped. It appeared to be stuck on a single channel I could not clear it.

I turned the scanner off, started it again and saw the "SD Card Read Error" message on-screen.

Since that time I have removed the batteries, tried to start it plugged in, unplugged, and more. Every time I try to turn it on, I get the same error.

I CANNOT get it to work in Data Mode to connect Sentinal.
I CANNOT get it to start up at all (only charging works).
I CANNOT seem to format the SD card using the recommended SD Card Formatter software (recommended from Uniden and this forum).

I have multiple SD Card adapters, and I am running this on a Mac using Windows 10 (and another running Windows 7), So both are Windows machines on Mac hardware. Both machines recognizes the adapter, but NOT the card and the software will not format it.

ANY ideas are welcome!!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You need a new card. If you have Replay or recording active, the scanner is constantly writing to the card, which will eventually wear it out.

elisherer

Update. I found another MicroSD card and WAS able to format it. But now when I try to update firmware on the scanner, I see the message "Could not find file: D:\BCDx36HP\HPDB\hpdb.cfg" And then when I try to start the scanner, it won't load and gives me another SD card errror!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Clear All Data on card in Sentinel, then write to scanner. Put the card in the scanner and start the scanner.

Then worry about firmware update only if the scanner needs it. Firmware is not normally stored on the card.

elisherer

OK, I think I figured this out. I found that the config file was not in the scanner for some reason, even after the restore. I copied it over from the C Drive (sentinel folder) and Copied it over manually. Now the scanner seems to be working. But I have a new SD ard on order

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I may be joining the conversation a little late elisherer and you may have resolved the issues with the SD card and Sentinel software, but I wanted to share my experience (similar to yours) two days ago.

My 436HP after several years of faithful service developed a problem with the SD card not being seen by Sentinel, and after reading some posts (thank you jonwienke) concerning the life span of SD cards, I decided it was time to upgrade mine. I went to Walmart to purchase one and decided to go from 4GB to 16GB. On the way home a constant thought in my mind reminded me that I had no idea how to put in a new one, and could there be a YouTube video made by a knowledgeable person showing a step by step process to guide me?

VOILA. There is one that helped me through the sequence and I'll put a link below that may be helpful to you and others that need assistance. I completed the items as stated in the video and my 436HP is up and running like brand new. I hope that watching it may be a help to you too.

Regards,

Russell
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGFI1D8Zzj0&t=23s

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Slide the clip gently to the right until it unlocks then flip it up and remove the card.

Insert the new card into the clip, flip it down, then slide the clip to the left to lock it into place.

stingray327

I may be joining the conversation a little late elisherer and you may have resolved the issues with the SD card and Sentinel software, but I wanted to share my experience (similar to yours) two days ago.

My 436HP after several years of faithful service developed a problem with the SD card not being seen by Sentinel, and after reading some posts (thank you jonwienke) concerning the life span of SD cards, I decided it was time to upgrade mine. I went to Walmart to purchase one and decided to go from 4GB to 16GB. On the way home a constant thought in my mind reminded me that I had no idea how to put in a new one, and could there be a YouTube video made by a knowledgeable person showing a step by step process to guide me?

VOILA. There is one that helped me through the sequence and I'll put a link below that may be helpful to you and others that need assistance. I completed the items as stated in the video and my 436HP is up and running like brand new. I hope that watching it may be a help to you too.

Regards,

Russell
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGFI1D8Zzj0&t=23s

I put in a 32 GB SanDisk card and its super fast.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
My sincere apologies to all regarding my link to the YouTube video and my thanks to fxdscon for making the correction with a link that works. I guess this shows just how computer illiterate I can be.
I was just trying to point out that there was a video that shows just how to get the Sentinel software program to write to scanner the info that the user wishes to put on his new SD card.

Just the process of removing the old and installing the new SD card is fine - as far as it goes - but there are a few more steps involved to get the software to insert your profile and favorites lists onto the SD card that you just installed on your 436HP and that is what the YouTube video instructs the person who hasn't a clue about it - such as me.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.