UBCD3600XLT New Firmware released

Status
Not open for further replies.

G7HID

Thanks, bit miffed that Uniden don't announce it themselves, indicates the level of backup we get in Europe :-(

Mike

iz0kvz

UBDC3600XLT - DMR Issue

Hi all, I'm an Italian customer, I bought a UBCD3600XLT scanner, but it can not decode the DMR signals of dozens of listened stations.
The scanner displays frequency, slot and talkgroup but does not decode the audio of the transmissions I listen (the same happen with CAP).
Yesterday morning I installed the latest version of the firmware (1.02.00) but the problem persists.
I also tried to:
1) work on treshold and waiting timebut on the radio
2) change antenna (portable and fixed)
3) change location
but nothing changed.

I only I want is my scanner to decode DMR transmission as product description.
I hope Uniden improve the firmware to make thei scanner more effective.
Today I wrote to Uniden America support team and If You have a European/Italian customer care I will be happy to contact it.
I'll be available for any help/clarification you may need.
Thanks for every information You can share.

iz0kvz

Hi, no addon is needed. The European version (UBCD3600XLT) has DMR ready software.
The scanner decodes well DMR Amateur Radio repeaters but can't decode direct DMR transmissions as described in my last post.

Has anyone any indication?
Thanks

G7HID

Hi all, I'm an Italian customer, I bought a UBCD3600XLT scanner, but it can not decode the DMR signals of dozens of listened stations.....

....Today I wrote to Uniden America support team and If You have a European/Italian customer care I will be happy to contact it.
I'll be available for any help/clarification you may need.
Thanks for every information You can share.

The 3600 might say Uniden on the front but it is made by Uniden for Avera..
Look at the back of your 3600 box (bottom left hand corner):

Sales and Service
info@avera.eu
www.avera.eu

Mike

Ubbe

You wont get any audio if the transmission is encrypted.
Look at the display when you see it decode the TG and slot, if it says ENC
then that is your problem.

/Ubbe

iz0kvz

Thanks for Your reply Ubbe, but are not encrypted transmission (no ENC appears on dysplay).
IMPORTANT: I noticed 2 scenarios:
1) (display shows DMR) slot information quickly swap between 1 and 2
2) (display shows CAP) in some CAP tranmission CAP and ENC alternates together with Slot1 and Slot2 on display

I'm newbie of digital scanning and I'm sorry if I'm not so clear in explanations.
I would be very grateful if you could help me!
Tony

Ubbe

To me it looks as if the scanner struggles to decode the signal.
Check if you have NFM set and the correct frequencies and set the threshold to 7.
Do you have access to a local frequency list on a website to check that others have managed to decode theese systems as DMR?
Try one of the frequencies that have a strong signal and enter that frequency manually CHAN+frequency+CHAN and the display should show what type it is and a steady indicator.
It is normal that the slot1 and 2 alternate if there are two live conversations on that frequency.

If nothing helps, enter some of the frequencies as NFM analog and record the audio for 5 sec on each channel and attach to a message so we can give it a listen.

/Ubbe

iz0kvz

Thanks Ubbe,
now I'm at work and I'll do tests (direct frequency input) You're proposing tonight.

In the meanwhile - just to keep you informed - this morning I received a reply from Avera Distributing: they said me they are engaged in an event in Paris this week and they will reply next week to my questions. :)

I'll let You know...
Thanks for Your time

iz0kvz

To me it looks as if the scanner struggles to decode the signal.
Check if you have NFM set and the correct frequencies and set the threshold to 7.
[...]
Try one of the frequencies that have a strong signal and enter that frequency manually CHAN+frequency+CHAN and the display should show what type it is and a steady indicator.
It is normal that the slot1 and 2 alternate if there are two live conversations on that frequency.

/Ubbe

Hi Ubbe,
I tried in NFM and with different treshold levels.
I also tried by manual input and no way!
The thing that make me crazy is that sometimes It seems that the radio can decode the voice but S1 and S2 start blinking.

Is it possible to post a video?

Ubbe

You can zip the video and attach to your reply.
But I don't know how big file are allowed to post?
You can also put in on google drive.

Could you power up the scanner while holding the avoid button in?
Then check in the Menu/Settings if you find Debug Log mode.
Set that to log to SD card and try monitoring that DMR system for two minutes.
The log file are on the SD card in the debug folder. Copy that to the PC and look at it.
It is almost in plain text what the scanner does when it receives a signal. If you zip it
it will become very small in size and can be attached to your message.

/Ubbe

Last edited:

iz0kvz

You can zip the video and attach to your reply.
But I don't know how big file are allowed to post?
You can also put in on google drive.

Could you power up the scanner while holding the avoid button in?
Then check in the Menu/Settings if you find Debug Log mode.
Set that to log to SD card and try monitoring that DMR system for two minutes.
The log file are on the SD card in the debug folder. Copy that to the PC and look at it.
It is almost in plain text what the scanner does when it receives a signal. If you zip it
it will become very small in size and can be attached to your message.

/Ubbe

Hi, thanks for the new approach! You'll find attached a little session log; I hope You can help me to understand better how to read this.

I'm crossing my fingers!
Thanks for Your time.

Attachments

• log0043912.zip
    55.3 KB · Views: 86

Ubbe

I see a call in the log and it is a TierIII trunked system but you do not have the system set up as MotoTrbo Trunk with the frequencies and its channel numbers. You have to figure out the system layout by entering all the frequencies you think belong to one site, control channel and the voice channels and it will probably be frequencies that have the same color code, to one site you create in a system configured as MotoTrbo trunked and use the LCN discover to get the channel numbers.

I use DSD+ to decode the control channel data to see what channel numbers it sends the calls to and then try and find that voice channels frequency by using another analog scanner to listen which frequency gets active with DMR signalling, and enter the channel number divided by 2 in the scanner.

I see other frequencies in the log with different color codes and seems to be using Motorola RAS as there is major CRC errors. I do not know if UBCD3600 could handle that now or if it needs a future upgrade to handle it. It could also be a very weak signal you are scanning.

I think you will need to get a discriminator audio from a scanner, or use a SDR dongle, to DSD+ decode the control channels you can receive to be able to tell which frequencies belong to one system and which ones are belonging to a particular site or a one frequency system. It will be much quicker and easier than using the LCN Finder method.

DSD+ will display the system ID and it will show what other site numbers and their control channel numbers, so it is easy to see what frequencies belong to the same system. If you also use the dmrdecode program from Ian Wraith you will see what sites there are in a trunked Cap+ system.

It will take some effort to get all the scanner settings dialed in but I'm sure you will be able to do it if you first log all control channels and then all voice channels and their color codes and preferable also the system id and channel numbers.

/Ubbe

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
According to our engiiiiineer:

According to the attached log, the system is single frequency site.

As a trunking system, it is necessary to select "DMR One Frequency" instead of "MotoTRBO Trunk".

Also "Conventional" can monitor voice, but does not track voice traffic in multi frequencies site.

One more, when there is no tracking ID, both slots are scanned.
So slots will be displayed alternately.

Status
Not open for further replies.