RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2017, 7:54 PM

Default Alternative antennas for BCD436HP?

So I currently have and use a BCD436HP equipped with the stock antenna. It gets the job done for what I want to listen to, however sometimes I feel like I don't pick up on things.

What other antennas are out there that would give me a significantly longer range and allow for stuff to come threw more clear? I listen to mostly Phase 1 /2 and TDMA / motorola P25 and all that.

Also. if anyone also has had or currently does have a BCD436HP, how durable is it? Like from drops and stuff.

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2017, 9:10 PM

Diamond RH77CA is a much better antenna than stock.

Tha antenna doesn't care about digital or modulation type. It only cares about frequency.

While the 436 is reasonably durable, it is not designed to handle repeated drops on to concrete, or to be run over by bulldozers.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Diamond RH77CA is a much better antenna than stock.

Tha antenna doesn't care about digital or modulation type. It only cares about frequency.

While the 436 is reasonably durable, it is not designed to handle repeated drops on to concrete, or to be run over by bulldozers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM014800 View Post
So I currently have and use a BCD436HP equipped with the stock antenna. It gets the job done for what I want to listen to, however sometimes I feel like I don't pick up on things.

What other antennas are out there that would give me a significantly longer range and allow for stuff to come threw more clear? I listen to mostly Phase 1 /2 and TDMA / motorola P25 and all that.

Also. if anyone also has had or currently does have a BCD436HP, how durable is it? Like from drops and stuff.

Thanks!
The RH77CA is a good antenna, especially for Vhf & Uhf. It also does well on 700/800MHz for nearby or stronger systems.

If your scanning is mostly on 700 or 800MHz trunked systems, you may find that the RadioShack 800MHz antenna is a better choice. This Remtronix antenna is the same item (they manufacture the one RadioShack sells). If you purchase the BNC version, you'd need to use the SMA to BNC adapter that came with your scanner. However, the SMA version is shown on that same page.

The RH77CA is a BNC based antenna, so you would use the adapter for it as well, or simply order it's SMA version.

I've also had good results with this antenna, also available with a BNC o SMA base.
Old 11-27-2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiegtx View Post
The RH77CA is a good antenna, especially for Vhf & Uhf. It also does well on 700/800MHz for nearby or stronger systems.

If your scanning is mostly on 700 or 800MHz trunked systems, you may find that the RadioShack 800MHz antenna is a better choice. This Remtronix antenna is the same item (they manufacture the one RadioShack sells). If you purchase the BNC version, you'd need to use the SMA to BNC adapter that came with your scanner. However, the SMA version is shown on that same page.

The RH77CA is a BNC based antenna, so you would use the adapter for it as well, or simply order it's SMA version.

I've also had good results with this antenna, also available with a BNC o SMA base.
The Remtronix antenna works well on 118 MHz and up. Very surprised at how well it works. I have used the RS version for over 10 years. One has stayed on my BCD396XT and now my BCD436HP all the time, and I never needed anything else portable. I have tried several others and always came back to it.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here's the link to Paul's testing of three optional antennas comparing their performance to the stock one. Interesting not only for the results, but because he explained his methodology as well...

Measuring Relative Antenna Receive Performance - Massively Uninformed
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2017, 1:48 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you want a shorter antenna that works pretty good try the Comet Miracle Baby CH-32 at 1.75 ". I used these for over 20 years on my handheld scanners and my BCD436HP until I went to a Unication G4 due to simulcast issues. I use a custom tuned 800 MHz Motorola antenna on the G4.
Old 11-28-2017, 4:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Comet Miracle Baby is a very small antenna (1.75"), and would NOT give you longer range. It is good in strong-signal areas, or if you need to reduce signal levels due to overload (or sometimes it might be helpful for LSM distortion, depending on the situation). If you are trying for longer range, it would not be good. It would reduce your range.