Reception Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
My BCD536HP all of a sudden picks up traffic on occasion and will go back to picking up traffic. Tried different antennas etc. Traffic will come over Broadcastify but not the scanner. Any ideas?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I cannot understand your problem description. It picks up traffic then picks up traffic? I don't think that is what you meant to say, but that is what you said.

Please re-describe the problem with a few more details.

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the mix up. It will pick up traffic for a while. Then it will stop picking up traffic. I can be hearing traffic on broadcastify or another scanner in a different room and the bcd536 will be picking up nothing. Then it will start again. Tried different antennas including outside one. Hope this helps to clarify The scanner is maybe 3 months old. It was working fine two days ago then just stared doing this

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Or your location is set wrong, so you are only monitoring one distant site that doesn't carry your local traffic full time. Check your actual GPS location coordinates. Zip code center can be miles from your actual location.

Ubbe

Can you keep an eye on the signal strenght meter when this happens?
There's no non-normal indicators on the display now that you haven't had before,
like a PRI or a closecall symbol?
Push fn+vol to read the bit errors when the problem starts.

/Ubbe

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Try moving the scanner to a different part of your home and see if there is any difference.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Use the analyze feature, it will show signal strentgh and quality of decode.

If using an attached antena, sometimes a few inches changes things.

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
Having trouble with all systems. I have moved it around the house no difference. Signal strength shows up every once in a while. No other icons ie close call etc are on the screen. Tried several antennas including outside mount. Things were great a couple of days ago.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
No signal strength = no reception.
1. Do not place scanner next to PC network router.
2. Try placing the scanner near or in a window.
3. Do not place the scanner near anything that radiates a RF signal.
4. Try using a magnetic scanner antenna outside a window to see if you have more signal.
5. Put the scanner in your car and drive towards a known tower.
6. If all the above fails sent it to Uniden for repair.

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
The main one I am having trouble with is Allegan County MI. Works great out in the car come home into the house and I loose it Two days ago it was working fine in the house. Thanks everyone for all of the help

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The main one I am having trouble with is Allegan County MI. Works great out in the car come home into the house and I loose it Two days ago it was working fine in the house. Thanks everyone for all of the help

Have you seen this? Maybe it's being worked on at this time?

Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS)

Allegan County

Construction continues on the Allegan County Land Mobile Radio System (ACLMR). Microwave backbone upgrades are in progress, and transmitter equipment will start to be installed by late spring or early summer. Once this process is completed, the new system will be brought online for testing by the end of 2017. Once the new network is accepted, the old radio system will be taken offline.

The proposal from Motorola, includes the establishment of additional 800 MHz tower sites to form a simulcast cell in Ottawa County, to provide excellent handheld coverage for all fire, police and EMS agencies. Likewise, Allegan, and Kent Counties making firm plans to migrate to the statewide P25 TRS, made joining the MPSCS more practical for communicating with neighboring jurisdictions. Construction should be completed by the end of 2017.

[source]
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key

Not that it is the same in any way but for NC VIPER system in my area, I experience exactly this type of thing every day on pretty much every radio I own.... Reception in my house is horrible but improves once I go outside.

Here, even actual system radio users (emergency responders) have problems with the system at times.

As I said - it's not an apples to apples thing but it does depend heavily on the system itself along with location and factors of the construction of the home (at least in my case).

Another consideration is monitoring multi-site systems is that traffic might be carried (mostly) on a site you can receive outside the house and only occasionally on other sites - and (possibly/maybe) the site you want cannot be received inside.

It's hard to say as there are so many variables - just some thoughts.

a29zuk

Are you monitoring the older Fennville or Wayland sites, or are you monitoring the new Allegan County simulcast system?
Are you getting a reading on your signal strength meter when you are not getting any traffic? Is the signal strength meter moving up and down?

If you are monitoring the simulcast system multipath distortion could be the problem as Troymail mentioned. The signal strength meter is usually bouncing all over the place when multipath distortion happens.
All scanners will have trouble receiving simulcast systems unless you are in the right location to receive a signal from only one tower.
I have the same problem with the Genesee and Lapeer County simulcasts. Inside my house there are only a few spots I can receive a good signal.
I can also drive a 1/2 mile away from my location and get a perfect distortion free signal.

As others have mentioned, you may also have a loose antenna connection.

Jim

Last edited:

bodnarp

Premium Subscriber
Never had a problem with the old radio shack. Not a happy camper pay $626 and cant use the scanner. It was working fine in the same location in the house and all over the house then all of a sudden it quit.

perfboard

I concur with the OP. I have the BCD436 and I've never had good reception with it. Tried different antennas, different locations, inside and out all with no real improvement. My old Radio shack Pro-95 blows the Uniden away on conventional and EDACS. Seriously its no contest.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've got to disagree. Both of my 436 get excellent reception, and the same is true of the dozens of 436 I have tested after installing internal GPS modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.