P25 Phase II compatible scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

megascanner

Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to pick up the LA County Coroner frequency but now I read it requires a P25 Phase II compatible scanner. I have the BCD996XT but it doesn't appear to be P25 Phase II compatible. Does anyone know if there's a way to make it capable with maybe firmware update? thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have been trying to pick up the LA County Coroner frequency but now I read it requires a P25 Phase II compatible scanner. I have the BCD996XT but it doesn't appear to be P25 Phase II compatible. Does anyone know if there's a way to make it capable with maybe firmware update? thanks
Are you looking at this system?
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7955

While the system is described as P25 Phase II, that's because the control channel is showing it capable of Phase II operation. At present, all of the listed talkgroups are labeled as being P25 Phase I, mode code D. If they were Phase II, and if the information was submitted as such, they would be tagged as mode T to denote Phase II.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If a Phase I scanner won't receive the talkgroup, then it is most likely switched to Phase II, and the OP will need a new scanner, either a 396P2, 996P2, HomePatrol-2, 436HP, or 536HP.

troymail

Silent Key
Are you looking at this system?
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7955

While the system is described as P25 Phase II, that's because the control channel is showing it capable of Phase II operation. At present, all of the listed talkgroups are labeled as being P25 Phase I, mode code D. If they were Phase II, and if the information was submitted as such, they would be tagged as mode T to denote Phase II.

This marking in the database misleads lots of people. Some other markings may not be clear and/or accurate as well (such as Phase 1 vs. Phase 2 and/or use of encryption).

You'll definitely want to try to receive the talkgroup(s) with your existing radio first.

Are you receiving anything on that system at this point?

If a Phase I scanner won't receive the talkgroup, then it is most likely switched to Phase II, and the OP will need a new scanner, either a 396P2, 996P2, HomePatrol-2, 436HP, or 536HP.

I know this is in the Uniden area but Uniden isn't the only manufacturer of Phase 2 capable scanners as is implied above. Whistler has a serious of Phase 2 capable scanners as well - WS1080, WS1088, W1095, WS1095, TRX-1 and TRX-2 (the last two also do NXDN that no other scanners will do).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
While that may indeed be the case (someone in the California forum, preferably in the LA area might have the answer), it's also possible that the OP does not have the system set up correctly, for whatever reason. If the TGID's are still Phase I, then the programming needs to be verified.

troymail

Silent Key
While that may indeed be the case (someone in the California forum, preferably in the LA area might have the answer), it's also possible that the OP does not have the system set up correctly, for whatever reason. If the TGID's are still Phase I, then the programming needs to be verified.

"My car won't start - guess I'll just go buy a new one."

Oops - I'm out of gas.

:p

a29zuk

This marking in the database misleads lots of people. Some other markings may not be clear and/or accurate as well (such as Phase 1 vs. Phase 2 and/or use of encryption).

You'll definitely want to try to receive the talkgroup(s) with your existing radio first.

Are you receiving anything on that system at this point?

I know this is in the Uniden area but Uniden isn't the only manufacturer of Phase 2 capable scanners as is implied above. Whistler has a serious of Phase 2 capable scanners as well - WS1080, WS1088, W1095, WS1095, TRX-1 and TRX-2 (the last two also do NXDN that no other scanners will do).

Also, no one mentioned the Uniden 325P2

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.