Com port not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopfooey

I bought a used BCD536HP off Craiglist and I think I may have screwed up. I also own a BCD436HP so I'm somewhat familiar with its operation. The problem I'm having is connecting to the computer to use Sentinal. The BCD436 connects just fine and I can update/upload but when I connect the BCD536 I get a com port error.

I've reset all the settings and tried a different cable but with no success. When I pull up the com port in system profiler (Windows 7) states "The device cannot start code 10".

Any ideas what might be causing this issue? I think the seller knew this and that's why he was in such a hurry to sell it. I should have known better.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you are doing updates, you should be selecting "Mass Storage" mode, not serial comm mode.

JamesO

If you are still having issues, you can remove the Micro SD card and update the card directly using a Micro SD card reader and/or a Micro SD to SD card adapter and use SD port in the computer or a USB SD card reader.

Firmware updates are a slight bit trickier but should also be able to be performed with the Micro SD card removed as well.

Chopfooey

Viola! I never considered putting the SD card directly into the computer. After updating the firmware that seems to have solved the com port problem. Sentinal doesn't care if the card is in the actual scanner or in a PC.

Can't thank you guys enough and considering the number of replies and stupid fast resolution I came to the right place. So nice dealing with folks that know what they're talking about. I don't feel like I just wasted $350 even though he stuck me for the Wi-Fi adapter and accessories but I guess that's the nature of the beast. I should count myself lucky I didn't get an actual brick instead.

Nasby

You got a pretty good deal!
Congrtas and glad you got it going.

Chopfooey

The Wi-Fi dongle doesn't appeal since I don't intend to stream and I just scored a bunch of Gamber-Johnson center consoles for my P71 Crown Vic so mounting should be reasonably easy enough. Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.