RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 12:01 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Exclamation BCD536HP programing

I just purchased the bcd536hp. I manage the Ennis PD/ Ennis FD Feed.(ellis co texas). This scanner is very complicated for me to operate/program. I need some assistance. I am attempting to enter and monitor the Ellis Co Sheriff Patrol Ch 2. The frequency is programed into the scanner, however I cannot receive anything. HELP!!

Channel (s)I am wanting to monitor

159.45000 WNRL779 RM 186.2 PL Ellis SO 2 a Sheriff Dispatch 2 - Analog FMN Law Dispatch
159.45000 WNRL779 RM 342 NAC Ellis SO 2 Sheriff Dispatch 2 P25 Law Dispatch

Last edited by tatersalad24; 01-11-2018 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: added more infomation
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Channel I am wanting to monitor

Old 01-11-2018, 2:29 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

At the simplest, in Sentinel navigate to Texas --> County Systems --> Ellis --> Ellis County

Then, in the right pane right-click Sheriff Dispatch 2 and select "Add to Favorites List."

Select New Favorites List and give the FL a name.

Click the profile editor (paper/pencil icon).

Uncheck "Monitor Full Database."

Highlight the favorites list you created and click ON for both Download and Monitor.

Connect the scanner to the PC and "Write to Scanner."
For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.
Old 01-11-2018, 2:56 PM

I just entered my zip code and bam off to the races...........
Old 01-11-2018, 3:06 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad24 View Post
I just purchased the bcd536hp. I manage the Ennis PD/ Ennis FD Feed.(ellis co texas). This scanner is very complicated for me to operate/program. I need some assistance. I am attempting to enter and monitor the Ellis Co Sheriff Patrol Ch 2. The frequency is programed into the scanner, however I cannot receive anything. HELP!!

Channel (s)I am wanting to monitor

159.45000 WNRL779 RM 186.2 PL Ellis SO 2 a Sheriff Dispatch 2 - Analog FMN Law Dispatch
Are your Ennis frequencies working correctly?

Did you program the S.O. Channel 2 manually, or append from the database as UPMan noted?

If you programmed it manually, and are using location control, the scanner may be treating the county frequency as 'out of range' unless you also entered location information. Also, if entered manually, did you update the Service Type? The default Service Type for manually entered items is Custom 1. Either make sure that service type is also enabled, or update the type for S.O. 2 to Law Dispatch.

I have the 536HP, as well as the 436HP, & a number of other scanners. I have no trouble monitoring Ennis, the County, nor the other larger cities in Ellis County, including Midlothian & Red Oak on their trunked system, from my location in Dallas.
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2018, 4:24 PM

Make sure you have all the right service types selected...
Old 01-11-2018, 4:37 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I didn't enter it manually. It's whatever was pre-loaded in the scanner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiegtx View Post
Are your Ennis frequencies working correctly?

Did you program the S.O. Channel 2 manually, or append from the database as UPMan noted?

If you programmed it manually, and are using location control, the scanner may be treating the county frequency as 'out of range' unless you also entered location information. Also, if entered manually, did you update the Service Type? The default Service Type for manually entered items is Custom 1. Either make sure that service type is also enabled, or update the type for S.O. 2 to Law Dispatch.

I have the 536HP, as well as the 436HP, & a number of other scanners. I have no trouble monitoring Ennis, the County, nor the other larger cities in Ellis County, including Midlothian & Red Oak on their trunked system, from my location in Dallas.
Old 01-11-2018, 4:51 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I didn't enter it manually. It's whatever was pre-loaded in the scanner.
If Ennis FD & PD are working, but S.O. Ch 2 is not, then it may be in a Department that is Avoided (locked out).

If possible, use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel.
Then, export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file. Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export is listed under the File drop-down menu.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
There are two ways to do this. You can either change the file extension itself, or compress the file using 7-Zip or other file utility. The *.zip file extension can be attached to a post and uploaded to the Forums.

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.hpe' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.hpe.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.hpe, then it can be imported into Sentinel for viewing.
Old 01-11-2018, 5:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'm electronically retarded when it comes to this.
Old 01-11-2018, 5:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Check your Service Types and make sure they are ALL ON. (Menu - Select Service Types, then scroll and hit Enter on anything OFF to change it to ON)

Also, use Google Maps to look up the actual GPS coordinates of your location, and enter them in the scanner menu (Menu - Set Your Location - Set Manual Location). Using a ZIP code sets your location at the center of the ZIP code area, which may be miles from your actual location.
Old 01-11-2018, 5:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

FIRST - let's get back to basics.

Have you updated the database in Sentinel then wrote to the 536.

Have you set a location - and HOW.

At first I though you "programed" which is creating a favorite list - now I'm more sureyou did not.

The more you post, the more confusing your answers.

Old 01-11-2018, 5:58 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by phask View Post
FIRST - let's get back to basics.

Have you updated the database in Sentinel then wrote to the 536.

Have you set a location - and HOW.

At first I though you "programed" which is creating a favorite list - now I'm more sureyou did not.

The more you post, the more confusing your answers.
Good point.

The frequency he is trying to receive was still analog back when the default database was created in 2014. Since that time, Ellis County shifted to digital (from analog) on that specific channel.

The current database has them correctly as digital, but if his scanner & Sentinel databases were never updated, then it may only be loading as analog (since he says he appended it from the main database).

tatersalad24
In Sentinel, on your PC, look in the lower left hand corner of the Sentinel main menu. What date shows there?
Old 01-11-2018, 6:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Summary of what I did.
I opened the box, turned on the scanner. I set the time and location zip code (75119). The scanner downloaded the Texas frequencies from RR. I downloaded Sentinel program. However, I was not able to update the Sentinel database/scanner because my cable/internet is down due to high winds damaging the wires, thus causing the Ennis PD feed to be down as well. I located Ellis Co Sheriff Ch 2 to see if I could monitor it, but it is silent. I can hear ECSO 1, Ennis PD/FD, Ferris PD, Waxahachie PD, Dallas PD, Dallas S.O, etc. The range is set to 40 miles. The county seat is about 15-20 miles away. The tower/repeater is roughly 8-10 miles away. The problem may be that I have not updated the Sentinel database, which I will have to do on Friday. I created a favorite list and added the frequencies that I want to scan. All work except ECSO 2. I'm currently at work and will have to go home on my break and see what date is listed on the Sentinel main menu.
Old 01-11-2018, 7:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The easiest way to learn some of these things is to watch someone do it. YouTube has tons of how to's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOUceSdVCo

http://abqscanner.com - https://dynodan.com
Old 01-11-2018, 7:24 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisABQ View Post
The easiest way to learn some of these things is to watch someone do it. YouTube has tons of how to's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOUceSdVCo
Agree. I learned a lot watching Youtube videos.
Old 01-11-2018, 7:52 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Summary of what I did.
I opened the box, turned on the scanner. I set the time and location zip code (75119). The scanner downloaded the Texas frequencies from RR. I downloaded Sentinel program. However, I was not able to update the Sentinel database/scanner because my cable/internet is down due to high winds damaging the wires, thus causing the Ennis PD feed to be down as well. I located Ellis Co Sheriff Ch 2 to see if I could monitor it, but it is silent. I can hear ECSO 1, Ennis PD/FD, Ferris PD, Waxahachie PD, Dallas PD, Dallas S.O, etc. The range is set to 40 miles. The county seat is about 15-20 miles away. The tower/repeater is roughly 8-10 miles away. The problem may be that I have not updated the Sentinel database, which I will have to do on Friday. I created a favorite list and added the frequencies that I want to scan. All work except ECSO 2. I'm currently at work and will have to go home on my break and see what date is listed on the Sentinel main menu.
That's probably your problem.

As I noted, if you had not updated the database in Sentinel,because of internet issues, then what you wrote to the scanner for the 'Texas' frequencies was likely old data. While Ennis SO Ch 2 was in use at that time, it was used as an analog frequency. Since then, the county switched that channel to digital, so the frequency loaded in the scanner has the correct frequency, but the wrong transmission type.

You can either wait until your connection is back up solidly, then update Sentinel as well as obtain corrected data, or you can manually correct that one entry on the scanner.

Verify the database on Sentinel when you can. To see what the database is on the scanner itself, follow these steps:
Press the Menu button
Scroll to Manage Full Database, and then press E (enter/yes) to select that option.
At the next screen, scroll to the line labeled Information
Press E to select it
The next screen will show you the database version on the scanner. It will say dB Version: MM/DD/YYYY (month, date, and year when the database was created).
If that date is not current (current version is 12/31/2017), then you've likely located your issue.
Old 01-12-2018, 3:59 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I updated the scanner to version 12-31-2017. It's scanning all of the favorite channels, but still not receiving the one channel I want.
Old 01-12-2018, 4:43 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I'm not very tech savvy. I watched the YouTube video's and was successful in getting more confused. I have tried everything that has been suggested without any results. I'm sure there is a setting that I have neglected to change or set that is preventing me from receiving Ellis Co Sheriff CH2
Old 01-12-2018, 4:57 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

My favorite list type is listed as conventional, but Ellis CO ch 2 is P25. Does that make any difference
Old 01-12-2018, 7:05 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Conventional = not trunked.

I note from the dB that that same frequency is listed as analog. Are you sure they are transmitting digital?
For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.