p25 cant understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. I listen to several P25 systems with the 536 and 436, and have no trouble understanding them. Is it possible you're trying to listen to an encrypted channel?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Can't understand

If you are trying to monitor a simulcast system, that is not uncommon. Try listening from different places in the house or even as you drive around. If the problem is by location, it is most likely simulcast, although it could be a strong signal from a nearby transmitter. You can also try different antennas. Some listeners even report using a paper clip in strong signal areas, while other have to use a directional antenna aimed at a specific transmitter sight.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What are you using for an antenna? If it's a simulcast system, you can have too much of a good thing, when your antenna is so efficient that it pulls in multiple signals, overwhelming the scanner with multi-path interference.

First try using the antenna supplied with the scanner, collapsed all the way and see if that helps.

lou9155

in my locale camden count public safety is unlistenable . simulcasted ...sounds like they are talking into a tp roller tube

bailly2

i assume you mean the san angelo p25 system. it does use the same frequencies on towers 2 and 3, indicating its using LSM simulcasting. put a short antenna through a hole in the side of an empty paint can near the bottom. best thing for simulcast distortion, i have that problem with a system near me. first built a yagi antenna, that helped but there was still distortion. someone else suggested using a paint can and there is no distortion....could try and build something shaped like a paintcan with cardboard and aluminum foil

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I listen to two simulcast P25 systems. Sticking your antenna in a paint can to deal with simulcast is generally BAD advice. It is a form of attenuation that is only helpful in a very specific set of circumstances, and is more likely to degrade reception than improve it. Quit peddling snake oil.

A directional antenna and a variable attenuator (only if the directional antenna doesn't solve the problem by itself) is a much better solution for simulcast trouble.

Also keep in mind that using a directional antenna or signal attenuation will degrade general reception, and make it more difficult or even impossible to receive stuff other than the simulcast system. If you need to monitor a simulcast system and other systems, you may need two scanners--one for the simulcast system with a directional antenna and possibly a variable attenuator, and the other for general scanning with a standard omnidirectional antenna.

troymail

Silent Key
Any 'off the wall' idea to hear simulcast systems is nothing but a plan for more frustration. The radios just don't work well on simulcast systems.... you don't realize how poorly they work until you listen to the same systems on multiple radios at the same time.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Any 'off the wall' idea to hear simulcast systems is nothing but a plan for more frustration. The radios just don't work well on simulcast systems....
I disagree...while the root cause is the receiver, experimenting with the antenna can help. I use a yagi in my attic on several of my scanners and it makes a big improvement on the local simulcast P25 systems. Of course, that only works for fixed use and took a lot of tweaking to get just right.

But my G5 works great for portable use :)

troymail

Silent Key
I disagree...while the root cause is the receiver, experimenting with the antenna can help. I use a yagi in my attic on several of my scanners and it makes a big improvement on the local simulcast P25 systems. Of course, that only works for fixed use and took a lot of tweaking to get just right.
Everyone has an opinion....

Here's mine --

Tying down a 436 to an attic antenna -- how does that make any sense at all? How does that help you when mobile/driving? It might help with a 536 in the house.... but... you're likely "tweaking" to receive a single system or site. Doesn't help for a different system or site off in a different direction.

Sure, these "tweaks" can help - maybe. But you fight with it and then something changes - weather, leaves on the trees, anything - and the signal is gone.

When I lived in Maryland, I'd be moving radios all around the house trying to get signals... and they required almost weekly if not daily adjustments. Most simulcast systems outside my county (< 10 miles) could not be received.... on the other hand, my G5 picks up those same systems with ease.... with at most a RS 800 Mhz (handheld) antenna.

I recently visited central Maryland (full of numerous simulcast systems) and found myself fighting again to get the 436 to pick up any simulcast systems. It did work for some systems some times when it wanted to as long as I didn't move the radio... but it rarely picked up nearby (< 5 miles) simulcast systems sitting in the same location.

goodmore

My 2 pennies......Listening is supposed to be ennoyable. If it becomes manual labor or just added stress then it is no longer enjoyable.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don't think anyone on RR makes suggestions with the intention of misleading members. What would they gain from that? They're giving out information for free. It's not like they're trying to sell you something.

What works great for some might not work at all for others. But if something has worked for someone, I'd encourage them to share their experiences with others. Isn't that why we all come to RR? I've learned a lot from other's helping me over the years, and I appreciated it.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I don't think anyone on RR makes suggestions with the intention of misleading members. What would they gain from that? They're giving out information for free. It's not like they're trying to sell you something.

What works great for some might not work at all for others. But if something has worked for someone, I'd encourage them to share their experiences with others. Isn't that why we all come to RR? I've learned a lot from other's helping me over the years, and I appreciated it.

Well said! Some of us have experienced so much frustration trying to clean up our local P25 systems, that we'd try anything including using a banana for an antenna.

kg4pbd

Guess I just wasted 500.00 on this scanner..........

Before you give up on the radio, make sure you go into site settings, and change the threshold from "auto" to "manual", and try using a value of 8.

I listen to a simulcast system on both a 436 and a G5. The G5 does a much better job at handling the simulcast distortion, but the 436 does a reasonably good job. You need to change the site setting and also use a dedicated 800mhz antenna (assuming your system is an 800 mhz system).

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You will need a Yagi antenna aimed at a tower not in the direction of another tower to eliminate the multi-path distortion issue. I use a BCD996XT for my feed (give a listen) to monitor a simulcast system and it works perfectly with my Yagi, which is located indoors on the first floor, aimed toward the system's furthest south tower which is about 10 miles away and SE of my location.

On this or any other scanner without the Yagi decode is unreliable at best. I use my HP-2 mobile and it works great on the system throughout the state, as long as the site in use is not simulcasted.

All reception, or the lack there of, is confirmed using my Unication G4, which I also use while mobile in the simulcasted area and at work (no multi-path issues with it) as it decodes perfectly, and has an increased range compared to a scanner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.