Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg251

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased the Uniden BCD436HP handheld scanner (with "home patrol" ZIP Code programming), primarily for listening to LVMPD. I entered several Las Vegas ZIP codes, including my friend's ZIP code, 89117 (Summerlin) and I never saw the "new" P25 Phase II system come up on the scanner. Worked well for Highway Patrol on NV Shared radio system. .

Should I buy 3rd party software, such as Butel and program the systems myself? I'm a little disappointed that I purchased a P25 Phase II and so far can hear the same thing as my Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner.

Thanks, Gregg, N2UUP

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just purchased the Uniden BCD436HP handheld scanner (with "home patrol" ZIP Code programming), primarily for listening to LVMPD. I entered several Las Vegas ZIP codes, including my friend's ZIP code, 89117 (Summerlin) and I never saw the "new" P25 Phase II system come up on the scanner. Worked well for Highway Patrol on NV Shared radio system. .

Should I buy 3rd party software, such as Butel and program the systems myself? I'm a little disappointed that I purchased a P25 Phase II and so far can hear the same thing as my Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner.

Thanks, Gregg, N2UUP

You can program systems yourself with the included Sentinel software... no need for third party programs to do that.

troymail

Silent Key
You should program systems yourself with the included Sentinel software... no need for third party programs to do that.

this

EDIT: Ok - I tried....

Make sure you've updated the library on the SD card using the Sentinel software.

Make sure the radio has the latest firmware installed.

Make sure you've enabled all SERVice types (at least at first).

Programming with zip codes is interesting just to get started but I would not use that for general monitoring for the long term....

Program the radio directly with Sentinel to monitor what you really want to hear....

Verify what you want to hear isn't listed as encrypted.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I just purchased the Uniden BCD436HP handheld scanner (with "home patrol" ZIP Code programming), primarily for listening to LVMPD. I entered several Las Vegas ZIP codes, including my friend's ZIP code, 89117 (Summerlin) and I never saw the "new" P25 Phase II system come up on the scanner. Worked well for Highway Patrol on NV Shared radio system.

The first thing to do is install Sentinel (which should be on the memory card in the scanner), then update the scanner's frequency database. The one that shipped with the scanner is probably at least a year old, and doesn't have the new system. You will also want to update the scanner firmware.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have the service types checked for the "profile" you use or with a scan of the full DB. If these are not checked, you won't hear what you've programmed or the agencies already entered into the DB with a weekly DB download (using Sentinel). In other words, if you download the current DB using the Sentinel Software, with the radio connected to the computer, you can update the SD card in your radio for any zip code you might want. But, the "service types" need to be checked.

Last edited:

Gregg251

Premium Subscriber
I have updated the the SD card with Sentinel, but I'm not sure about the systems and service types. I need to look at it more. Thanks for everyone's help.

troymail

Silent Key
I have updated the the SD card with Sentinel, but I'm not sure about the systems and service types. I need to look at it more. Thanks for everyone's help.

You can go here and "see" the available frequencies and systems in your area:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1927

Note the "service types" in the far right ("Tag") column.

This same information will be available in Sentinel and on the SD card in your radio (assuming you've updated both).

Status
Not open for further replies.