For UP man

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjfswkr

Hi, my GPS will not work on my 436,it worked on the 536. I brought it back to HRO where I bought it but he does not know if the GPS unit is bad, the cables are bad, etc. any suggestions? The 436 is only a few months old.

Thanks

Kevin

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Does the GPS indicator show up on the screen?

How do you know the GPS is bad? Have you tried enabling the main database and entering an out-of-state zip code, like 90210, while the GPS is active?

94caprice9c1

I am having a similar problem. The 536 first see the brand new GOS unit. The red light blinks, but the HPS is not on the screen of the scanner. The baud rate is set at 4,800. What am I missing?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Check to make sure all the cables are plugged together firmly. The PS2 connector is particularly prone to working loose, and if you don't align it right when connecting it, you can bend a pin over and prevent any connection.

kjfswkr

Does the GPS indicator show up on the screen?

How do you know the GPS is bad? Have you tried enabling the main database and entering an out-of-state zip code, like 90210, while the GPS is active?

Hi Jonwienke, it is not working. I brought it to HRO and he could not figure it out.

Kevin

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Hi, my GPS will not work on my 436,it worked on the 536.

Does it still work on the 536 now?

I brought it back to HRO where I bought it but he does not know if the GPS unit is bad, the cables are bad, etc. any suggestions? The 436 is only a few months old.

Hi Jonwienke, it is not working. I brought it to HRO and he could not figure it out.

No 436 display models in the store?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm curious if the HRO person did the 90210 test. If not, you should, with both the 536 and 436. That will verify whether the GPS puck works, and may indicate if a cable is bad. It is possible to plug the adapter cable into the 436 backwards, which would explain why the GPS works on the 536 but not the 436.

Another option to consider is to have GPS installed internally in your 436, which eliminates all of the external wiring and the second 12v power supply.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the red light on the puck is blinking, the fuse is good, and the puck is getting a satellite fix.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For the reasons exemplified by the followup to this post, I recommend that no one ever use the same subject line. This post did not require my attention at all.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you need an adapter you have the wrong cable. The correct Uniden cable has a DB-9 male connector that attaches directly to the Uniden Y-cable without needing any gender changer or adapter.

kjfswkr

If you need an adapter you have the wrong cable. The correct Uniden cable has a DB-9 male connector that attaches directly to the Uniden Y-cable without needing any gender changer or adapter.

Hi Jonwienke,

Thanks, it is the cable that came with the 436. And the GPS I bought when I bought the 536. The GPS plugs directly into the 536.

Kevin

PS: sorry to be a pain.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the puck works with the 536, then the only possible issue is the cable going between the Uniden Y-cable and the 436 and whatever adapter you are using to mate them. Either the 436 cable is bad, or else you have the wrong adapter connecting it to the Y-cable. There are 2 types: straight-through and null-modem. Whichever one you have is probably the wrong one.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks, it is the cable that came with the 436.

Does the 436 cable plug directly into the Y-cable or is a gender-changer adapter needed?

Are you sure you are plugging the cable into the 436 correctly? The side of the plug with the arrow and little metal tab goes to the rear of the 436, not the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.