Yet another "Nothing to Scan" issue on the BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryDev

I too have the “Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan” issue. But it only happens to some of the Favorites that I create. I’m creating them by “Appending” the category to a freshly created Favorite from the Sentinel software. For example, I add Railroad, Airports, Fire, and Law to Favorites. Each respectively. The Railroad and Airports work great. But both Fire and Law give “Nothing to Scan”. I have read every hit on that message on Google, and on this site, and done everything suggested on them. Here is what I’ve done.
1. I’ve set my Location to scan the Database.
2. I’ve made sure my Favorites Lists are enabled in Set Scan Selection.
3. I’ve made sure Service Types are enabled for the Channels you want to hear.
4. I’ve made sure Use Location Control is Off.
5. I’ve sure longitude and latitude are N and W (for N America).
6. I’ve made sure Systems/Departments/Channels are not Avoided. Nothing is.
7. I’m NOT making anything a Quick key (Do I need to?)
8. I have all 4 Favorites set to Download and Monitor.
9. I have ALL service types checked.
Being that I’m adding all items the same way, I don’t understand why some work and some don’t. I really don’t want to return this scanner but I’m so frustrated with it. I’ve literally spent 15+ hours on this so far. I’m a 40 year programmer so I hate to think this is too complicated for me. Someone please tell me what I’m missing! Thank you.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I too have the “Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan” issue. But it only happens to some of the Favorites that I create. I’m creating them by “Appending” the category to a freshly created Favorite from the Sentinel software. For example, I add Railroad, Airports, Fire, and Law to Favorites. Each respectively. The Railroad and Airports work great. But both Fire and Law give “Nothing to Scan”. I have read every hit on that message on Google, and on this site, and done everything suggested on them. Here is what I’ve done.
1. I’ve set my Location to scan the Database.
2. I’ve made sure my Favorites Lists are enabled in Set Scan Selection.
3. I’ve made sure Service Types are enabled for the Channels you want to hear.
4. I’ve made sure Use Location Control is Off.
5. I’ve sure longitude and latitude are N and W (for N America).
6. I’ve made sure Systems/Departments/Channels are not Avoided. Nothing is.
7. I’m NOT making anything a Quick key (Do IO need to?)
8. I have all 4 Favorites set to Download and Monitor.
9. I have ALL service types checked.
Being that I’m adding all items the same way, I don’t understand why some work and some don’t. I really don’t want to return this scanner but I’m so frustrated with it. I’ve literally spent 15+ hours on this so far. I’m a 40 year programmer so I hate to think this is too complicated for me. Someone please tell me what I’m missing! Thank you.

Check this list:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...4-x36-nothing-scan-checklist.html#post2121181

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you have Use Location Control off, you don't need Lat/Long.

I've found it easier to set Quick Keys, and if you don, go into "Set Scan Selection" and "Manage Quick Key Status".

Also, go into Set Scan Selection and make sure Favorites and Systems are set to monitor.

The scanners aren't all that complicated, but there are several things that can cause a "Nothing To Scan" and they aren't all in the same place.

AngryDev

I've created a new Profile so that I can NOT use Lat/Long. Add just Fire and Law for my area and still no luck. Also did the the other things you mentioned but again, no luck.

AngryDev

If you have Use Location Control off, you don't need Lat/Long.

I've found it easier to set Quick Keys, and if you don, go into "Set Scan Selection" and "Manage Quick Key Status".

Also, go into Set Scan Selection and make sure Favorites and Systems are set to monitor.

The scanners aren't all that complicated, but there are several things that can cause a "Nothing To Scan" and they aren't all in the same place.

I've created a new Profile so that I can NOT use Lat/Long. Add just Fire and Law for my area and still no luck. Also did the the other things you mentioned but again, no luck.

AngryDev

Are these Conventional or trunked?

If tunck- do you have both sites and talkgroups?

I dont know what that means. But Im trying to get DATABASE->USA->Idaho->Kootenai->Statewide->Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network->Kootenia County Fire/EMS.

BTW, police is under the same section

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Could you export one of the Favorites Lists giving you problems (export to HPE file) then zip it and attach to a post?

We can give it a look and see if anything stands out.

This will be a very small and easily fixed thing. Finding it, as you have seen, is the problem. Sometimes another set of eyes is all it takes and I'm sure you've seen this before in programming. So don't give up the ship just yet.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You probably only imported those departments, and not your local system sites. Departments in trunked systems have talkgroups, not frequencies, and are used only after the scanner hears traffic on a site to decide what to do with it. Sites are what actually get scanned. If your favorite list doesn't have any sites you will have nothing to scan.

Import the entire ICWIN system and do not delete ANYTHING. Turn location control ON. That should fix your problem.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Great idea. Another idea, maybe not so great, is to try to get Admin to make a Sticky "x36HP Nothing to Scan" where people can post the myriad ways this can happen.

Could you export one of the Favorites Lists giving you problems (export to HPE file) then zip it and attach to a post?

We can give it a look and see if anything stands out.

This will be a very small and easily fixed thing. Finding it, as you have seen, is the problem. Sometimes another set of eyes is all it takes and I'm sure you've seen this before in programming. So don't give up the ship just yet.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Great idea. Another idea, maybe not so great, is to try to get Admin to make a Sticky "x36HP Nothing to Scan" where people can post the myriad ways this can happen.

Or follow the link in post #10.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Or both, as it's a consistent problem. It's probably the biggest user issue with the x36HP scanners. Mainly because there are a number of different, almost unrelated, ways it can happen.

People probably come to the forums first looking for answers.

Or follow the link in post #10.

AngryDev

You probably only imported those departments, and not your local system sites. Departments in trunked systems have talkgroups, not frequencies, and are used only after the scanner hears traffic on a site to decide what to do with it. Sites are what actually get scanned. If your favorite list doesn't have any sites you will have nothing to scan.

Import the entire ICWIN system and do not delete ANYTHING. Turn location control ON. That should fix your problem.

This was it! I was adding a whole group from the main USA database and then removed what I thought I didn't need. There were sections with just frequencies and nothing else. I didn't think these were necessary. I thought TGID's were enough. Thank you SO MUCH!!!

phask

Premium Subscriber
This was it! I was adding a whole group from the main USA database and then removed what I thought I didn't need. There were sections with just frequencies and nothing else. I didn't think these were necessary. I thought TGID's were enough. Thank you SO MUCH!!!

- Told ya' so - .....

Now determine which are the closest one or 2 sites and avoid or delete the others. You probably need at most 2, maybe 3 sites depending on where you are. You can even set quick keys to "avoid" sites.

Example - using location (default) mine will load 6 or 7 sites, in actuality I can copy 3 and 1 of those 3 will get 99% of the traffic I want.

Have fun....

montana1975

check your service type list , i find they uncheck themselves in all favorite lists wen unchecked in full database list

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you enable location control, and set range to 5 miles, you probably won't scan more than 3-4 sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.