Siren app and newest Android Note 8 software update

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitetrain5

Premium Subscriber
I believe this is the correct location for this post. I recently did the software update for my Android Note 8. Now when I use the siren app I get all kinds of error pop ups and crashes. This only happens when using the siren app. Prior to the Android update I wasn't having any issues.com.samsung enhance service has stopped, com.samsung dcmservice has stopped, com.samsung faceservice has stopped, "Samsung experience home keeps stopping", System UI isn't responding, to name a few. Eventually the siren app itself crashed and the screen goes blank. Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks for listening.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There are already several threads discussing this exact thing. Siren hasn't been updated in a while, and doesn't play nice with the latest flavor of Android.

nitetrain5

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply, sorry for the duplicate thread. I will keep a eye on RR for any additional info. Thanks again, John

Unforgiven_AF

Regarding those other services crashing after the Oreo update, that isn't related to Siren. Sometimes things get a little Wonky after an OTA. I would go to each service that is crashing and clear cache. I'm not sure if samsung has gone to the AB partitioning yet, but if they haven't, you could also reboot into recovery and clear the cache partition (this no longer exists on Pixels and my Moto X4).

And for what it is worth, Siren still works on my Moto X4 on Oreo, so I wonder if it is TouchWiz???

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I know it's pain but I would do a factory reset. It is generally recommended that you do that either right before, or right after a major upgrade.

Unforgiven_AF

I know it's pain but I would do a factory reset. It is generally recommended that you do that either right before, or right after a major upgrade.

LOL, I know, and I hate that. I usually like to try the cache clearing first. :p TBH, the AB update method is much better and far fewer OTA problems. Downside is two copies of the OS at all times, so a big loss of storage.

nitetrain5

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info!! If some of this crashing and pop ups are unrelated to using the siren app then maybe I will try the cache clear and if need be stop by the Verizon store if it gets more involved. They've actually been pretty helpful in the past

Unforgiven_AF

Don't be afraid to ask me, I've moderated a massive Android support forum for a number of years. Just shoot me a PM so we aren't clogging the boards with a bunch of Android stuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.