BCD436HP/BCD536HP: What Have I Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I'm much more accustomed to operating my BCD325P2 but also own a BCD436HP. I haven't turned on the 436 in quite some time but when I tried today, it seems to come on, then powers back off. Is there a way to restore the factory defaults? It doesn't stay on long enough for me to even set the COMPORT on my computer software. I have brand new batteries in the scanner so power wouldn't seem to be the problem. I could use some help!!!!!!

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

mule1075

Feed Provider
I'm much more accustomed to operating my BCD325P2 but also own a BCD436HP. I haven't turned on the 436 in quite some time but when I tried today, it seems to come on, then powers back off. Is there a way to restore the factory defaults? It doesn't stay on long enough for me to even set the COMPORT on my computer software. I have brand new batteries in the scanner so power wouldn't seem to be the problem. I could use some help!!!!!!

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636
Sounds like the SD card needs formatting done.

a29zuk

Also, double check the new batteries. I've had a dud battery in a new package of batteries before. Or try it with the power cable plugged in.

Jim

Last edited:

mule1075

Feed Provider
Since you can't get the scanner to stay on you are going to have to use a card reader. Most pcs and laptops have them but you will need a adapter.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would buy a new micro SD card, since the one you have now is probably failing. Get one of the "high endurance" cards because they last much longer in devices that constantly write to the card. A new card will also probably come with the SD card adapter you need if you don't already have one.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HD

I have a card reader and can take a look at the current card. But, assuming the card is the problem, and I buy a new card, what would the next step be? Would a new card likely allow the scanner to stay powered up? And, could I then do a total reset of the scanner, reloading the factory default systems?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I have a card reader and can take a look at the current card. But, assuming the card is the problem, and I buy a new card, what would the next step be? Would a new card likely allow the scanner to stay powered up? And, could I then do a total reset of the scanner, reloading the factory default systems?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636

Do a search on this forum for SD card replacement and/or Clear User Data.

The steps for dealing with a new card have been posted.

marksmith

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636
There are no factory default systems on the 436.

You need to format a new card with a card reader/adapter, then take the clear user data option in Sentinel, which prepares the card further. Then select what systems via favorites lists, or update the full database and copy this data to the card.

You then should be able to install card in the radio and start.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HD

I am very grateful to all of you who have responded. You given me consistent counsel on what to do to move ahead with my 436. These RR Forums are clear evidence that help is just a post away and that it's true that it takes a village.....

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.