Finally Fixed a Problem BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
For the last 6 months at least I have been having problems receiving the New Jersey State Police 860 MHz multicast system. So I finally decided to try something. I set my HP-2 up and monitored the system with the indoor antenna that came with the scanner. The HP-2 had no problems receiving the system.

So today I took off work early to take care of my "puppy" and decided to play with the 536 HP with an telescoping antenna on the back of the scanner. Well it worked great. So I went in an turned on the attenuator for the system and I was now receiving the system with the telescoping antenna, a 800 MHz antenna inside my window just above the scanners and an identical antenna on my tower at 30'.

All is good. I had noticed that the 536HP was prone to brute force overload more than the older Uniden scanner I had used to monitor the system way back when I bought the scanner, 2 weeks after it was released. That's why I was using the antenna mounted inside my radio room in the window. It worked fine untill about 6 months ago then it went down hill after that.

I am attributing the problem to a cell phone site less than 1/8 of a mile from my house. the indoor antenna shielded the indoor antenna from the site. BUT there is another site about the same distance from my house but not being in the shadow of the house so I guess there must have been changes to this second site around 6 months ago.

I found when I purchased my first 536HP that when I turned on the attenuator on another system but operating on 760 MHz it solved a problem receiving this simulcast system.

Just thought I woulod pass this info on just in case it might help someone else having the same problem

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting, good info for many plagued with simulcast conflicts.

I've shared similar experiences with experimentation over the years. I don't have a problem with nearby cellular towers, but I am in reasonably close proximity with 9 MPSCS simulcast sites.

Currently I am running a BCD996P2, BCD325P2, and up until yesterday a BCD996XT. By using minimal antennas inside the home and locating the scanner near some metal objects, or metal objects near the scanner I found I was able to null out the offending sites, while improving reception on maybe just one. The difference can be like day and night!

My new BCD436/536HP scanners will be here soon. I don't anticipate any problem with them either.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
Just to add to what I first related, over this last winter I noticed I could receive the NJSP system when we had our several heavy snow storms. At the time it didn't "click" why until today. This also answered a question about which has more attenuation on UHF radio signals rain or snow. Looks like snow.

Sigarmsp226e2

I’ve always used a non factory antenna on my 536 not to many problems. But simulcast distortion is my biggest issue. But I’m smack dab in between 3 towers, equal distance between and it really messes with it sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.