location control

Status
Not open for further replies.

I900D658

gents when programming favorites list is it neccessary to have location control on or off. i use gps when i travel

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you use GPS and you want the systems in the FL to turn on/off based on your location, then you'll need to have location control turned on.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you turn on location control, you must fill in the location data for EVERY department and trunked site, or the scanner will treat them as latitude and longitude 0, which is in the Atlantic Ocean, as a result, the scanner will treat them as out of range and they will not be scanned.

If you copy items from the database, they will have location data filled in.

I900D658

Thanks i do program from sentinel so the locations are in there and i only use gps occasionaly so i probably will just leave it turned on

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
I got my GPS unit today (Thanks JonWienke) and played around with it for a little while and seems to be working great on the Full database. But I have about 85 entries in my favorites list and very few of them don't have coordinates because they are not in the database yet. I see that that each system, when you go to edit it, under the options tab, there's a location control pull down menu with yes or no. Are each entry in the favorites list independent and can I turn on location control for the ones that I have GPS coordinates entered, and leave the reast of them off, and during a gps scan of the favorites list, will all the ones set to off be scanned no matter what? Some of the systems that I have programmed I haven't been able to identify what or where they are, so adding coordinates would not be accurate. Most of my favorites are set up to where the main system with known frequencies are programmed as a trunk system, and then after that I have the same system programmed as conventional with maybe more frequencies that might be part of that system. I believe you can enter coordinates into a conventional list, but all frequencies in that list can only have 1 coordinate programmed to it. I'm new to this GPS scanning and any help, tips would be appreciated.

So my main question is what would happen if I program some with coordinates and turn location control on for only those, and keep the others off. Would the ones that are off still be scanned? Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Location control is a favorite list-level option, not system-level. Make a favorite list with Location Control turned off, and put your unknown stuff there, and have a separate list with Location Control turned on for systems with location data.

Coordinates are entered for Sites and Departments.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You would enter Location information (Lat/Long) at the Site area (Location Tab, right pane) for trunked systems and at the Department area for departments (also Location Tab, right pane).

Sometimes I'll add a new department by hand because it wasn't in database. I'll see if there is an entry somewhere for a similar location or use Google Earth to discover Lat/Long and populate the fields with that data.

Status
Not open for further replies.