How do I determine a DMR color code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyro424

I am trying to determine the color code on a single channel DMR system. I had DSD running and it showed me the slot, talkgroup and unit ID. But I am still unsure of the color code. I also have a BCD536HP scanner will that tell me? Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can put the frequency in your 536 programming as DMR mode and tell it to search for the CC and it should show on the display when receiving traffic. I typically use Sentinel to program but I'm sure you can do it from the scanner itself. Using close call may also catch it for you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
DSD shows the color code. It's a number between 0 and 15.

DeDawg

I am trying to determine the color code on a single channel DMR system. I had DSD running and it showed me the slot, talkgroup and unit ID. But I am still unsure of the color code. I also have a BCD536HP scanner will that tell me? Anyone have any advice?

I learned that knowing the color code is not needed to receive DMR. Turns out it is like the CTSS tones of analog systems. Not sure how they are employed, never seem to pick up more than one CC on any DMR frequency, at least in my area.. A crowded area of more users, may be more common.

My BCD325P2 likely is similar to your 546 in operation, and it will show the CC on Display mode 2 as a numerical value, without being programmed in. Not that I need it as mentioned.

pyro424

Ok thanks everyone for the replies. I was trying to send a picture of what i got with DSD but its not allowing me to upload it. I see now on the very bottom of the DMR event log it says DMR DCC:1 im thinking maybe that is the color code then? Anyway thanks

Voyager

Turns out it is like the CTSS tones of analog systems. Not sure how they are employed

Exactly the same reason and same function. The only difference is that the color code is required (on user radios). CTCSS is not.

kma371

QRT
Ok thanks everyone for the replies. I was trying to send a picture of what i got with DSD but its not allowing me to upload it. I see now on the very bottom of the DMR event log it says DMR DCC:1 im thinking maybe that is the color code then? Anyway thanks

Yes. DCC is the color code

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Not sure how they are employed, never seem to pick up more than one CC on any DMR frequency, at least in my area.

Typically the case, like a tone on a repeater. They are required for the radios; if the CC doesn't match it won't access the repeater/system. On the scanners you can 'search' for it and pick up any CC. Most times it will only be one CC, though.

jhsands

Feed Provider
Typically the case, like a tone on a repeater. They are required for the radios; if the CC doesn't match it won't access the repeater/system. On the scanners you can 'search' for it and pick up any CC. Most times it will only be one CC, though.
You have 16 chances to get into the repeater. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk.

RayAir

MotoTRBO RAS is very effective against unauthorized use of a repeater (transmitting through or receiving using a radio). Simply coupling RAS with plain Jane Basic Privacy and now you protect against scanners, people trying to guess the BP key with a Motorola radio, and public versions of DSD+.

Hytera also offers for free a feature called "over the air encrypt" (signalling encryption), so there's no chance of running effective traffic analysis on the system because there will be no decoding of TGIDs or RIDs unless you have a Hytera radio with the correct 128 bit OTA encrypt key in use. Of course this would work best if the voice traffic is also encrypted, preferably with AES-128 or 256 in either DMRA or Hytera proprietary flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.