Bcd325p2 gps

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisadafoe

What are some GPS that will work with my BCD325p2. I am super new to this so I don't know all the lingo and everything so the simpler the answer the better haha. I have 2 GPS already but I don't know if they are compatible. One is a Garmin Nuvi 52 and the other is a Tomtom. How do I know if they are compatible and if not what are some cheap compatible GPS I can buy?

wtp

from the easy to read manual

The GPS device must have a serial (RS-232) output, and be capable of outputting standard NMEA-0183 v3.01 compliant location data, and GGA/RMC data sentences at 4800 bps. Make sure that the cable terminates in a female, 9-pin serial connector and you select the correct baud rate (4800 bps) for the serial port.

to translate a little, it needs to speak the same language. that is NMEA-0183v3.01

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
In addition to what wtp said, the biggest difficulty using anything other than the Uniden GPS kit (or the rechargeable one-cable GPS I sell) is making the adapter cable. You have to know the pinouts of the connectors on both ends, and make sure the correct pins on each end are connected together.

Also, the GPS input on the 325P2 is 325P2 is not a DB9 connector, it is fed into the ID pin of the mini-USB jack, which is not used for USB communication. So a standard serial cable will not work.

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
Jon's GPS/power supply looks excellent.

Another option, which I already had before Jon's developed his device, is a basic GPS puck with a PS-2 type connector ($30) and the Uniden adapter cable ($20) as listed below:

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BR-355S4-GPS-Receiver-Black/dp/B00AMAJFUO

https://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_GPS_Adapter_Cable_for_the_BCD325P2_p/10-731909.htm

The Uniden adapter cable plugs into a standard USB-A port and supplies power to both the GPS and the BCD325P2. The full Uniden GPS kit is not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.