Looking for the pinout for the GPS interface on the SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have or have come across the pinout for the two accessory connectors on the Uniden SDS100? UPMAN, can you help us out as these are absent from the manuals I've come across so far.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
They are USB.
28138047163_a5bf9cc7a4_o.jpg

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The jacks are standard USB mini and micro and the pinouts are widely available online.

The only quirk is that the GPS input goes to the ID pin (next to ground) of the USB mini jack.

Last edited:

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thank you both. Yeah, I knew the pinouts on the USB side; just wasn't clear where the GPS input was; I never would have guessed that pin. Thank you...

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I just realized that you were talking about the USB-mini connector where power and programming are also performed; what I was actually hoping/looking for was for the secondary USB-micro connector to see about putting GPS there. I had assumed that this connector is what replaced the older style one Uniden was using on the BCDx series scanners. Is this not the case?

Hit_Factor

The jacks are standard USB mini and micro and the pinouts are widely available online.

The only quirk is that the GPS input goes to the ID pin (next to ground) of the USB mini jack.

Could you clarify that using the pin numbers from the picture? My GPS only has 4 wires.

Hit_Factor

Do you know which wire goes to the ID pin? My GPS has red, black, white , green, bare w/ shield.

I order some of the connectors Jon listed along with some USB A male. My plan is wiring the male A for 5vdc on a separate leg. In other words, The gps wires to the micro usb and 5vdc coming in from the male A. Of course I still need to figure out the wiring.

It seems that red/black are the 5vdc. But what are the white/green/bare?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Green and white are USB Data+ and Data-. Shield is the RF shield--grounded to black at the A end of the cable.

Attachments

• usb_cable.jpg
    usb_cable.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 535
  • mini-USB.jpg
    mini-USB.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 759

Hit_Factor

Thanks Jon,

I'm still trying to figure out your comment on post #3 "The only quirk is that the GPS input goes to the ID pin (next to ground) of the USB mini jack"

ID is pin 4, which wire is this?

mancow

Database Admin
Thanks Jon,

I'm still trying to figure out your comment on post #3 "The only quirk is that the GPS input goes to the ID pin (next to ground) of the USB mini jack"

ID is pin 4, which wire is this?

Connect the data coming from the GPS to that ID pin.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The GPS wires are not the same as USB, it uses RS232 signalling. Which puck do you have?

Hit_Factor

When I plugged the GPS into the scanner with a conversion cable the GPS was not powered. When I plug the GPS into a USB power source it powered up.

I'm planning on no power at the port, and charging the scanner when I have the GPS plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.