SDS100 Spotsylvania County reception issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

spotsyrick

Just received my SDS100 today and updated the firmware and database. I created a favorites list and added my county Spotsylvania which is p25 phase 2. Ran the scanner for 5 hours and only picked up the fire dispatch which is not p25. I know police are encrypted. I tried scanning by my zip and had the same problem. I enabled all the services that I was trying to scan. Not sure what's wrong, I'm 5.5 miles away from one tower and 5.7 miles away from another tower. I will take it tomorrow and drive around but I don't understand why I'm not receiving anything at home.

jasonhouk

If you're running detailed display what is RSSI showing when receiving the CC?

If not in detail mode hold a channel then press Fnc +9 to enable.

Houk
Just received my SDS100 today and updated the firmware and database. I created a favorites list and added my county Spotsylvania which is p25 phase 2. Ran the scanner for 5 hours and only picked up the fire dispatch which is not p25. I know police are encrypted. I tried scanning by my zip and had the same problem. I enabled all the services that I was trying to scan. Not sure what's wrong, I'm 5.5 miles away from one tower and 5.7 miles away from another tower. I will take it tomorrow and drive around but I don't understand why I'm not receiving anything at home.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

spotsyrick

If you're running detailed display what is RSSI showing when receiving the CC?

If not in detail mode hold a channel then press Fnc +9 to enable.

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks Jason.............the RSSI goes from -85 to -107
I brought it to work today so I will try it on the way home.

spotsyrick

RSSI level was bouncing from the low -70's to 80's when I was near the tower at the courthouse. I don't think I'm getting the talk groups, it picks up the control channel but it's not switching. I will try more tomorrow. Is it normal for the noise to bounce from the low thousands to over 25,000 while holding on a channel?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes. Because the scanner is is still checking all sites it thinks are in range, even when holding on a talkgroup.

spotsyrick

Yes. Because the scanner is is still checking all sites it thinks are in range, even when holding on a talkgroup.

Thanks Jon. Shouldn't the RSSI be better than -70 or -80 when I'm within a mile or closer to a tower? I live 5.5 miles from a tower but even driving closer it never gets better.

spotsyrick

What antenna are you using?

Do you have another antenna you can try?

I started with the stock antenna and switched to RS800. The RSSI values got better but it still not picking up anything that my RS668 picks up. I see that there are others that are having problems on Harris systems too.
Does anyone have a Spotsylvania County System ID 00A .hpe file that I can try so I can rule that out, thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.