What is the upper USB port for on the SDS100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
The lower jack is marked "Charge", the upper micro USB port is not labeled nor discussed in the manual. So the first attempt to interface the SDS100 to my laptop, I used a micro-USB cable that I had and nothing happened, then I watched the video on ScannerMaster and it showed using the supplied USB cable and connect it to the charge USB port. So what is the upper port for?

Thanks

klinquist

Premium Subscriber
I did just verify that the scanner will work (but not charge) with power from the upper USB port (battery removed to test!).

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The upper port has the same USB ID as the lower one, so I connected it up to my laptop and the port got recognized as an Uniden serial port. So far I saw several SDS-100 SUB strings transmitted, but I have not tried to figure out any commands yet. I assume it is an USB port connected to the infamous sub-processor. :) It could be the Uniden engineers used it as a debug dump port to get it going and left most of the code in place. Some future firmware might change the usb configuration so you could plug in a device, like an USB Toaster.
usb_toaster.jpg

73 Eric

SCPD

QRT
I am assuming it connects to a possiple future usb powered device?Maybe Uniden will make a powered usb gps Dongle with self supplied power out of this port... (recognized as serial port when connected to computer)... And its the same location on other scanners by uniden that utilized GPS ports in its place...

Guess the question is DOES or WILL it hurt the sds100 to use as standalone power to the scanner? It would save a lot on the wear and tear of the charge/sync port....

Or maybe it could even an I/Q output for other softwares...

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Nothing has been announced officially, but there's good reason to suspect it will be the data connection to use the SDS100 as a SDR receiver. There's a thread posted showing how to send a serial command through the micro-USB that activates a demo SDR waterfall display on the SDS100 screen.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Guess the question is DOES or WILL it hurt the sds100 to use as standalone power to the scanner? It would save a lot on the wear and tear of the charge/sync port...

There is no problem with using the micro USB port for power, or with connecting both USB ports to power at the same time.

SCPD

QRT
There is no problem with using the micro USB port for power, or with connecting both USB ports to power at the same time.

I had a feeling that it would not cause any problems I just figured I'd save on the scanners sync / charge port while my battery is fully charged and plug it into the micro USB

Thank you Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.