sds100 heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Only time will tell. The chips on the mainboard appear to be heat sinked to the large metal shield covering a lot of the board, so Uniden seems to have considered the heat issue. No problems so far though, even when running the SDS100 in a hot vehicle.

Ubbe

Jon, you had the SDS100 disassembled, and perhaps also will crack open some in the future. Then take a look at the el-lyt capacitors for a temperature marking. That will tell if Uniden have spent the extra money to put high temperature components in the SDS100 or if they use the standard, less expensive alternative that will have a shorter life span.

/Ubbe

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I took photos while I had it apart:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgvQQbjn2uujFCymvKw

I don't know if you can read the markings you're referring to, though.

I was interested in the construction of the selector knob. My knob wobbled on the shaft to the point pushing down to enable volume adjust required much force. I pushed at right angle to the knob to reduce wobble. I was concerned it was a bent shaft. I'm now suspecting knob was canted when installed.

You pictures show what I believe to be robust construction.

Great pictures! Thanks!!!

Mike

AvidHiker

The SDS's knob feels far more solid than the one on my 436, which has a lot of play in it.

So, it gets warm, but is it hot enough to warrant high temp-rated electrolytics? I suspect Uniden didn't think so.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Look at the photos he put a internal GPS Unit in his SDS100. Jon is very talented when it comes to these scanners. He never ceases to amaze me with his modifications :).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jeffhochberg

Premium Subscriber
Ok cool! I knew he did some other mods. I just wasn’t sure which mod you were pointing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

whatWhy

heat

my sds100 gets very Hot on top and antenna connector.
I have the adapter on. anyone else ? upper Body warm but connector area hot

maus92

Premium Subscriber
My entire SDS100 is warm to the touch, but more so on the top half.

The display puts out a lot of heat if you keep it on full time while on external power (like me.) And the SDR tuner and associated CPUs generate more heat than previous scanners. For me, the display is the warmest part / area of the radio, followed by the upper rear / antenna connector. The radio is noticeably warm, but not as warm as my notebook computer, LCD TV, stereo receiver, etc. Devices that consume *a lot* of power will need to dissipate a proportionally greater amount of heat - no getting around physics.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I for one welcome the warmth of the radio. I suffer from diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage) in my hands, thus to me, they always feel cold, no matter what the season is. Now I have a handy "hand warmer" whenever I need to warm up the hands. Yeah, I'm weird like that. LOL!! :D

:)

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
My entire SDS100 is warm to the touch, but more so on the top half.

Yep my top half gets really warm when I'm doing NXDN scanning of a local trunk system. There wasn't much voice traffic but it was shockingly warm after about 30 minutes of idle scanning.

Looks like they didn't do much for heat dissipation inside the case. Perhaps a large, thin heat sink would have been a good idea..?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yep my top half gets really warm when I'm doing NXDN scanning of a local trunk system. There wasn't much voice traffic but it was shockingly warm after about 30 minutes of idle scanning.

Looks like they didn't do much for heat dissipation inside the case. Perhaps a large, thin heat sink would have been a good idea..?

The fact that you are feeling heat is a good thing. Heat generated by the circuitry needs to be conducted away from the radio and wasted to ambient air.

MFCJR

I use the BNC adapter with the Remtronix 800 antenna and it seems that most of the heat is drawn up and out of the scanner into the adapter and steel part of the antenna as that gets very warm to hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.