Charging LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkenny53

My two LED's do not work or lite up. Is there something I am missing in the setup?
Also I know the battery is cr_p, but after over 12 hours of charging, with the supplied adapyer, I only get 3.5 volts, is that the norm?

jasonhouk

My two LED's do not work or lite up. Is there something I am missing in the setup?
Also I know the battery is cr_p, but after over 12 hours of charging, with the supplied adapyer, I only get 3.5 volts, is that the norm?
Have you turned charging while on in the settings menu?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

tkenny53

nope, I would figure charging led would be right out of the box working, I will look into that, as turned off and charging nothing lites.

jasonhouk

Make sure you're using the bottom port as well. Also elevated temperature will also shut the charging circuit off until the unit cools.

Houk
nope, I would figure charging led would be right out of the box working, I will look into that, as turned off and charging nothing lites.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber

I can't think of a good reason why those charging LED 's aren't lighting up. I'm away from my radio at the moment and can't check, but I don't believe there's a setting that will prevent the radio from charging or turn them off entirely.

If I remember correctly, my battery level says 4.2 volts when the the green light comes on indicating it's charged.

Not likely, but I can't help but wonder if you're getting all the power your adapter needs from your electrical outlet.

Someone else on this forum may have some better ides.

Good luck.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

The default setting is off. You have to go into the battery settings menu and enable it. Blame California's stupid environmental rules.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Make sure charging while scanning is enabled. I noticed that, while I had it turned on, if I connected the scanner to a port that did not supply sufficient current to both charge the battery as well as power the scanner (specifically, a port on one of my PCs), that setting defaulted back to off. To get charge while scanning enabled, I had to do that once more in the menu.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any time you get a low USB voltage error, you have to re-enable the Charge While On setting.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Any time you get a low USB voltage error, you have to re-enable the Charge While On setting.
Exactly. That's the behavior I noticed after I first goi the scanner. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind if the scanner appears to be no longer charging.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I can't think of a good reason why those charging LED 's aren't lighting up. I'm away from my radio at the moment and can't check, but I don't believe there's a setting that will prevent the radio from charging or turn them off entirely.

If I remember correctly, my battery level says 4.2 volts when the the green light comes on indicating it's charged.

Not likely, but I can't help but wonder if you're getting all the power your adapter needs from your electrical outlet.

Someone else on this forum may have some better ides.

Good luck.

Ouch!

I've got to stop trying to give advice or help while I'm on the fly and away from the radio and manual.

I mistakenly assumed his radio's LED's were staying dark even when it was turned off and plugged into the adapter, not while it was on and scanning.

Oh well, my Grandma had a pertinent saying about the road to hell being paved with good intentions . . .

tkenny53

>> I mistakenly assumed his radio's LED's were staying dark even when it was turned off and plugged into the adapter, not while it was on and scanning.

This is correct.
While charging with the radio off, no led are lit.
I turned on charging while scanning, as stated, and still no difference.
Whether the scanner is on or off, charging or not, no working LED's

I will put on a different charger as the Uniden one may not be working correctly due to the 3.5 volts after 15 hours of charging while turned off.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The LED should light when the unit is charging, regardless of the scanner on or off.

You have to plug in to the mini-USB port, (the one on the bottom) or the unit will not charge. Are you using the charger and cable that came with the unit? Is the cable plugged in all the way?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
>> I mistakenly assumed his radio's LED's were staying dark even when it was turned off and plugged into the adapter, not while it was on and scanning.

This is correct.
While charging with the radio off, no led are lit.
I turned on charging while scanning, as stated, and still no difference.
Whether the scanner is on or off, charging or not, no working LED's

I will put on a different charger as the Uniden one may not be working correctly due to the 3.5 volts after 15 hours of charging while turned off.

Okay . . . then my well-intended advice may not have been too far off the mark.

Do you remember what the voltage was before you started that 15-hour charge? It's interesting that the radio may be charging (however slowly and incompletely) without the LED's lighting up.

Here's hoping it's just a bad adapter, not a bad radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
3.5V is basically the mostly-discharged state in which the battery was shipped. If any charging happened, it would be between 4.1V and 4.2V. Try a different cable and/or USB charger.

tkenny53

3.5V is basically the mostly-discharged state in which the battery was shipped. If any charging happened, it would be between 4.1V and 4.2V. Try a different cable and/or USB charger.

Different chargers and cables including the one in the box, at 3.49 volts the unit complains of low battery, so I dont get much life after that. I dropped the alarm to 3000mv and it stops complaining, due to the 3500mv threshold. Also after hours of charging the unit is still cold.
Time for this to go back.

jasonhouk

Different chargers and cables including the one in the box, at 3.49 volts the unit complains of low battery, so I dont get much life after that. I dropped the alarm to 3000mv and it stops complaining, due to the 3500mv threshold. Also after hours of charging the unit is still cold.
Time for this to go back.
What is the ambient temperature in the room where you're trying to charge?

phask

Premium Subscriber

The other LED is an alert LED, you can program to come on with certain frequencies (conv.) or talkgroups. If scanning the full database - you can't set it.

tkenny53

Okay, I got another scanner and everything is work just fine, so the scanner I got was for sure defective.
Also it will tell me the USB voltage is too low when on a computer never got that before.
Things seem much better and working.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Most computers don't supply enough power from the USB port to charge and power the SDS100. You may want to get a powered USB hub so that the SDS100 gets enough power when you plug it in. Also, if you get the low USB voltage error, you have to go into the menu and re-enable charge while on.

Status
Not open for further replies.