Issue with Ham Bands on SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangoGreg

I just got the SDS100 last week. I set everything up and it seems to work great except one issue.

I am not hearing my local ham repeaters which use a standard tone squelch frequency. I am listening to my SDS100 near my BCD536HP. The 536 picks up the ham bands fine. My SDS100 seems to pick up some of the repeaters which are open but doesn't seem to be hearing the ones that use tone squelch control. I have double checked all my settings and my favorite lists to make sure that my tone frequencies are input properly. Everything matches my 536 setup but I still can't receive the ham repeaters.

Anyone else having problems with ham bands?

Upman, any suggestions? I really like the new SDS100 but I am wondering if there is an issue with Ham Bands utilizing tone squelch.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I just got the SDS100 last week. I set everything up and it seems to work great except one issue.

I am not hearing my local ham repeaters which use a standard tone squelch frequency. I am listening to my SDS100 near my BCD536HP. The 536 picks up the ham bands fine. My SDS100 seems to pick up some of the repeaters which are open but doesn't seem to be hearing the ones that use tone squelch control. I have double checked all my settings and my favorite lists to make sure that my tone frequencies are input properly. Everything matches my 536 setup but I still can't receive the ham repeaters.

Anyone else having problems with ham bands?

Upman, any suggestions? I really like the new SDS100 but I am wondering if there is an issue with Ham Bands utilizing tone squelch.

Check to make sure you have ham enabled in the service types section (in Sentinel or on the scanner). It may say Amateur Radio or Ham, I don't recall which off hand...or, check in Sentinel and see what service type they are set to - if you custom added them manually it may be set to one of the Customs and if you don't have that service type enabled you won't hear them.

troymail

Silent Key
Service types tend to be the first thing I think of also... but I'm following your comment that everything is the same and you are hearing other HAM channels without tone configurations (suggesting it isn't a services issue).

Therefore, assuming services are not the issue, I'm curious what happens if you remove the tone settings on the channels you are not receiving.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Looking through my ProScan logs, I'm seeing traffic on channels that have CTCSS tones programmed. So I think we can eliminate the notion of SDS100 not receiving traffic when the broadcast CTCSS tone matches the programmed tone. Either there is a service type issue, location control settings are wrong, or (most likely) the tone on the repeater no longer matches what is programmed.

If location and service type settings have been thoroughly checked, then remove the tone from the channel settings and put it on analog/search.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Service types tend to be the first thing I think of also... but I'm following your comment that everything is the same and you are hearing other HAM channels without tone configurations (suggesting it isn't a services issue).

Therefore, assuming services are not the issue, I'm curious what happens if you remove the tone settings on the channels you are not receiving.

Good points. I would still say double-check the service types as he could have some set to amateur radio and some set to Custom 1 or whatever if he manually added some.

durangoGreg

Thanks for the replies. I'll check a few of these suggestions tonight and get back to everyone. However, I am positive that I have it set up exactly as the 536. I know the Ham service is selected. I have also tried to turn off tone squelch using just the search option but it didn't work either.

I will let you know if I come up with the exact issue that is causing the problem.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
When programing 2 meter repeaters Sentinel 2 seems to default to NFM instead of FM when the modulation is set to AUTO.

Your audio will be clearer and signal stronger if you switch to FM. However, I do not think the restricted bandwidth of NFM should affect your Tones but I guess it would not hurt to try.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
FM should be used for analog 2-meter. NFM should be used for DMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.