SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 A/C power

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I was just curious and wanted to know the right answer, so when charging, and the light turns green, i know its full, but say i want to use it on ac power and other battery, say like a home patrol scanner. If i have charge while on, can i just leave it like that? I know the battery charging cuts off, but the green light stays lit up, so does that mean its just running off a/c power? Do i need to turn off the charge while on feature when its fully charged? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When the green light is on, the battery is not being charged or discharged. The scanner is running on USB power.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
When the green light is on, the battery is not being charged or discharged. The scanner is running on USB power.

Great, thank you for the info, much appreciated.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
What Jon said is the Normal situation (for most people most of the time).

Here are a some more rare situations:

1. The green light will not stay lite all the time it will go out after a while (at least on my SDS100 it does)

2. If your USB voltage is a little low the battery will be used to supplement the USB power, so it will be slowly discharging the battery.

3. If your USB voltage is low enough then you will get the Low USB Voltage warning on your SDS100 and you will have to unplug the USB cable and use the battery only to run the scanner.

Please jump in guys if I have got any of this wrong.

Last edited:

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I’m out using the stock usb brick that came with it, I’ve got a either a 10-15’ cable running to the scanner, and the cable is plugged directly into a 2.1a USB port on a surge protector. So far, the green light hasn’t gone off, I’ve had it on just about all day. I did have a usb extension, with a male and female ends on it, and plugged the cable the scanner came with into that, and it did pop up the low voltage warning, but with the long cable i got off Amazon, no problems thus far.

Thanks for the info, anymore is welcomed.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I’m out using the stock usb brick that came with it, I’ve got a either a 10-15’ cable running to the scanner, and the cable is plugged directly into a 2.1a USB port on a surge protector. So far, the green light hasn’t gone off, I’ve had it on just about all day. I did have a usb extension, with a male and female ends on it, and plugged the cable the scanner came with into that, and it did pop up the low voltage warning, but with the long cable i got off Amazon, no problems thus far.

Thanks for the info, anymore is welcomed.

Interesting!

I ordered a powered USB Hub 2 days ago since I was getting suspicious about my green light going off during my monitoring sessions. However, even after 10 to 12 hours of use when I turn it off the red light comes on but only for a minute or two, then the green light comes on and stays on until I start monitoring again. Therefore, not much charging was needed but apparently my battery is having to be used some as I monitor.

I am using a 900mA USB 3.0 port on my computer but my computer will be 6 years old this November.

This might explain why my experience with a 6 ft. Amazon extension cable for USB 3.0 consistently gave me the Low Voltage warning on my SDS100 so, I had to stop using it.

With people sharing posts like this we can see that YMMV is very true as multiple factors are involved. In my case an old computer and maybe a not so good Amazon Cable may have been my problem.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
An interesting 'quirk' people might want to be aware of....
For those that have charge while on, set to on.

If you get the low voltage warning, it also sets the charge while off - to off.
If you get the warning, you have go and set the charge while on - back on.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Regardless of the battery state, when you first plug in external power, the battery will charge briefly to determine the battery state. So, even a completely charged battery will go back into charging mode (but at a very low current) for a minute or so before going green.

SCOTTER

I would like to see the red light go out when fully charged and stay out.The reason for that is I use the green light for my state park and DNR flash for dispatch solid for units. Do you think that could be as a choice for the user with a firmware update ?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unlikely, as that is generally a hardwired function of the charger chip.

SCOTTER

What I dont understand is on some of the youtube videos it shows the scanner plugged in and the right light is out when its scanning and some its on unless they just unplugged it from its power source for the video.

captncarp

Will the radio work if there is no battery installed just the radio plugged in to commercial power?
I would like to see a charger for just the battery in a external charger.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
What I dont understand is on some of the youtube videos it shows the scanner plugged in and the right light is out when its scanning and some its on unless they just unplugged it from its power source for the video.

If it was plugged in, and scanning and the light was not on, they didnt have the setting turned on for “Charge while powered on”. Otherwise if its not enabled, it wont charge while scanning

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Will the radio work if there is no battery installed just the radio plugged in to commercial power?
I would like to see a charger for just the battery in a external charger.

Good question, I haven’t heard anyone say yet or not, but i wouldnt want to take the battery in and out, cause i take the scanner out while traveling daily, and bring it back home

airman9000

Did you get the same message when using a USB 2.0 cable or extension? I think in general people have a lot of issues with 3.0 cables and extensions.

USB 3.1 supposed to have fast charging at 4-5W, but haven't been able to test one yet

Interesting!

This might explain why my experience with a 6 ft. Amazon extension cable for USB 3.0 consistently gave me the Low Voltage warning on my SDS100 so, I had to stop using it.

With people sharing posts like this we can see that YMMV is very true as multiple factors are involved. In my case an old computer and maybe a not so good Amazon Cable may have been my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.