SDS100/SDS200: Hum while receiving analog comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

I noticed that the SDS100 has a hum sometimes while receiving analog communications. It sounds like an amp that has a bad ground. This is not present on the 436HP, TRX-1 or the 325P2.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I noticed that the SDS100 has a hum sometimes while receiving analog communications. It sounds like an amp that has a bad ground. This is not present on the 436HP, TRX-1 or the 325P2.
See if you hear it listening to a weather channel. If not, it is CTCSS tone bleeding in. There normally should be a high pass filter in the radio to cut out tones below 200Hz.

If you hear it on a WX channel, are you using a charger and/or external antenna when receiving?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS100 filters out DCS and CTCSS tones below 100Hz, but you can still hear the higher ones if listening with a speaker or headphones with decent bass response.

tumegpc

See if you hear it listening to a weather channel. If not, it is CTCSS tone bleeding in. There normally should be a high pass filter in the radio to cut out tones below 200Hz.

If you hear it on a WX channel, are you using a charger and/or external antenna when receiving?

Not hearing it on a weather channel , and no charger with stock antenna. I will record audio files from the 436HP and SDS100 and upload them when I get a chance.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
100Hz high-pass is reasonable for digital (P25, DMR, NXDN, etc), but for analog it should be about 270Hz to eliminate all of the CTCSS tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.