HP-2: Home Patrol 2 display problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnesotan

Recently encountered a problem with display on my Home Patrol 2 when powering on. Very white and washed out screen. The touchscreen still works but can only see the screen by tilting the unit downward. Display is extremely washed out and the brightness and contrast settings do not fix the issue. Restarting multiple times did not change anything. Does this both on batteries and plugged into charger. The unit was not dropped or banged around at all.

I tried to search the forums for others experiencing the same but wasn't able to find anything.

Has anyone seen this and any ideas other than sending in for warranty (unit is less than a year old)? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Will try to attach picture.

Attachments

• HP2 display problem.jpg
    HP2 display problem.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 453

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
After the last firmware update, I now have a white line across the bottom of my HP-2 display that wasn't there before the update. It doesn't seem to affect performance, but it's annoying always having that white line there. Anyone else have this same issue or have any suggestions on resolving this issue?

IMG_6621.JPG

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
After the last firmware update, I now have a white line across the bottom of my HP-2 display that wasn't there before the update. It doesn't seem to affect performance, but it's annoying always having that white line there. Anyone else have this same issue or have any suggestions on resolving this issue?

IMG_6621.JPG
Are you, perhaps, referring to a database update, not one for firmware?

If I recall correctly, there have been zero firmware updates for the HP-2. And Uniden's Wiki page does not show any past updates. There were a couple issued for the HP-1, but the last one was in 2014. The only HP-2 upgrade has been for the Extreme Update, but that involves purchasing a license key & entering into the scanner. There is no separate firmware file associated with it.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
There has never been a firmware update for the HP-2. I just did the DB update on mine and I have no line.

Go to Display Options and try changing the Display Mode or Font Size and see if it persists.

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
Are you, perhaps, referring to a database update, not one for firmware?

Steve,

Yes, it's possible that this may very well be what happened. It happened a couple/few months back and I have too many radios and scanners to keep track of. In any event, it was definitely after an update of some sort. The white line first appeared after the HP-2 was ejected from the USB port and was rebooting itself. Now, it's there 100% of the time. It appears during the boot process and I believe it appears before the database begins to load. I honestly don't see how a database update would have any effect on the display.

Ubbe

Does it change when you alter the display to show the Main menu? The bottom part are graphics that are set to be displayed at certain pixels and if the white line are there on every type of screens it must be that some sort of offset to the screen have been introduced, if it isn't a hardware problem the the lcd screen has moved so that the backlight panel are shown.

Try reloading the firmware and if that doesn't help do a memory clear by holding down volume up when powering on and holding down volume down when the Homepatrol screen are shown. Go to Other tests and select Memory Clear. You have to had your settings saved on your computer prior to that to be able to restore them.

/Ubbe

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
Does it change when you alter the display to show the Main menu?

No, it does not change. The white line is visible no matter what menu or screen I'm viewing.

...if it isn't a hardware problem the the lcd screen has moved so that the backlight panel are shown.

I doubt the LCD panel has moved. This unit is virtually brand new and has never left the top of my desk. It's never been dropped or bumped hard.

Try reloading the firmware...

I was unable to find instructions on how to reload the firmware. I would definitely like to try this. Can you please explain the process?

Go to Other tests and select Memory Clear.

I tried clearing the memory but the white line is still there.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Greg

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A database update could not cause what you are showing. Neither could a firmware update. However, it might be a function of the display brightness being turned way up. I'd try adjusting that.

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
A database update could not cause what you are showing. Neither could a firmware update. However, it might be a function of the display brightness being turned way up. I'd try adjusting that.

Thank you for your suggestion, Paul, but the line remains on the screen at all backlight levels. I even tried rebooting the HP-2 at different brightness levels, with no luck.

Ubbe

Seems like you have the same problem as Finnesotan got but his whole display went white, the ribbon cable from the display has some sort of connection problem and need to be re-seated.

If you look at the texts at the bottom they are not in the middle of its dark grey rectangle. The last line or two at the bottom are not getting drawn with dark pixels. That horizontal control lines have probably no connection to the graphics cpu.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.