SDS100/SDS200: want to use w/ GPS ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden GPS I used on the HP-1. I ordered the SDS100 cable from Scanner Master. I dont remember seeing any threads on how to hook up & configure on the SDS100. Are there any articles on Radio Reference with instructions/information on how to hook it up. Thank You for your time.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I am really not familiar as I hardly ever use the GPS feature. But if you plan on using it regularly in would contact Jon Weinke on the forums and have him install the internal GPS for you its. It's looks way better and you will always have it on you not just in the car or where ever your supplying power to the GPS from.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

racing1

I am really not familiar as I hardly ever use the GPS feature. But if you plan on using it regularly in would contact Jon Weinke on the forums and have him install the internal GPS for you its. It's looks way better and you will always have it on you not just in the car or where ever your supplying power to the GPS from.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
But doesn't installing a internal gps void the warranty?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
But doesn't installing a internal gps void the warranty?

Theoretically yes it could. So far, there hasn't been a test case of a modded radio breaking and needing warranty service. I've asked UPMan about it, and he was not able to give me a definitive answer. It would probably depend on exactly what the malfunction was, and whether there was any plausible way to blame the malfunction on the modification, but until there is a test case, it's theory and conjecture. But I advise potential customers to assume the warranty is voided.

Regarding the OP's question, if he got the correct cable, there's only one way to use it to connect between the scanner, the GPS puck, and USB port. Plug the connectors that match together, verify the light on the GPS puck is turning on, and scan either the full database or favorite lists that have Location Control enabled, and the rest is automatic.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
in my experience you just plug it in and turn on the scanner. That is how it worked on the 436hp

Hit_Factor

Hit_Factor

I have a Uniden GPS I used on the HP-1. I ordered the SDS100 cable from Scanner Master. I dont remember seeing any threads on how to hook up & configure on the SDS100. Are there any articles on Radio Reference with instructions/information on how to hook it up. Thank You for your time.

Just mate up the ends of the cables and plug it in. After satelite lock it will work great.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Just mate up the ends of the cables and plug it in. After satelite lock it will work great.

Basically you cannot plug the wrong thin in anywhere, the cables only go one way.

The puck part of the Uniden GPS kit has a round connector that fits into the accessory cable, the accessory cable has 2 other ends, one is the USB mini that plugs into the radio and the other is the larger USB plug that plugs into a USB power source. This powers the radio as well as the GPS and makes for a nice and tidy setup.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Y cable setup is about as tidy as you can get with an external GPS. An internal GPS miniaturizes the cable clutter, and puts it inside the case.

durangoGreg

Are you talking about that big clunky cigarette lighter power adapter and RS-232 cable that is attached to the GPS puck and then buying another cable that connects to both and you have to power through the cigarette lighter plus plug into the microUSB port of the SDS100?

That is about as un-tidy a solution as one could ever imagine.

How about a new external GPS receiver with a microUSB connector as standard which receives power from the USB port on the SDS100? Isn't that a possible solution? I think Uniden screwed the pooch on this one. They need to at least release a newly designed GPS receiver if they aren't going to include an internal GPS.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Are you talking about that big clunky cigarette lighter power adapter and RS-232 cable that is attached to the GPS puck and then buying another cable that connects to both and you have to power through the cigarette lighter plus plug into the microUSB port of the SDS100?

That is about as un-tidy a solution as one could ever imagine.

How about a new external GPS receiver with a microUSB connector as standard which receives power from the USB port on the SDS100? Isn't that a possible solution? I think Uniden screwed the pooch on this one. They need to at least release a newly designed GPS receiver if they aren't going to include an internal GPS.

The SDS100 and BCD325P2 do not have the 4-pin serial port of older scanners (HomePatrol, BCD436, BCD396 etc.). To connect the Uniden GPS to them you use just the puck part and the special adapter cable. The adapter cable connects to the scanner thru the regular USB port and will also power the radio and GPS from a single USB port.

The DB-9 and cigar plug are unused with this setup.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
I understand the hardware installation. replace old cable with the new "Y" cable. New cable will supply power to the scanner and power the GPS Puck. The new cable arrived today and I replaced the old cable with the new one. Have to give credit for the new cable. Nice job. Back to my original question. Hardware=NO PROBLEM. Could someone please give me a step by step list of what I need to do to have the radio recognize the newly installed GPS Puck. I think someone said you just do the hardware install and you will be up and running. That sure would be nice. my end result would be to drive from Illinois to Maryland and have the GPS select my location AUTOMATICALLY all the time I was driving. I would think I would have to make some selections in the scanner to get it to do the "switching" for me. Thank You so much for your time. Please drop the issue of altering the scanner by installing an internal Puck. That is NOT the route I want to go

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Use the cable to connect the GPS, scanner, and USB port powering both.

Make sure the scanner serial port speed is set to 4800 in location settings in the menu.

Scan the database and/or favorite lists with Location Control enabled.

That's it.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I understand the hardware installation. replace old cable with the new "Y" cable. New cable will supply power to the scanner and power the GPS Puck. The new cable arrived today and I replaced the old cable with the new one. Have to give credit for the new cable. Nice job. Back to my original question. Hardware=NO PROBLEM. Could someone please give me a step by step list of what I need to do to have the radio recognize the newly installed GPS Puck. I think someone said you just do the hardware install and you will be up and running. That sure would be nice. my end result would be to drive from Illinois to Maryland and have the GPS select my location AUTOMATICALLY all the time I was driving. I would think I would have to make some selections in the scanner to get it to do the "switching" for me. Thank You so much for your time. Please drop the issue of altering the scanner by installing an internal Puck. That is NOT the route I want to go

I think you are over thinking this. Simply plug everything in and turn the scanner on it will switch automatically

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

llwade

Premium Subscriber
ran into snag ............ menu > set your location > set up GPS > LOCATION FORMAT & SET SERIAL PORT set serial port was easy. did as you said and set as 4800 bps. What about Location Format. dont understand DMS: DDD MM SS.SS / DEG: DDD . dddddd. do I SKIP this step ???

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Location format....

ran into snag ............ menu > set your location > set up GPS > LOCATION FORMAT & SET SERIAL PORT set serial port was easy. did as you said and set as 4800 bps. What about Location Format. dont understand DMS: DDD MM SS.SS / DEG: DDD . dddddd. do I SKIP this step ???

This setting is ONLY to change how GPS coordinates are displayed.
Either in decimal degrees - or degrees, minutes, seconds.

Open Google Earth. Look down at the bottom right, (GPS coordinates of the cursor/location).
You will either decimal degrees - or degrees, minutes, seconds. (DDD MM SS.SS / DDD.dddddd)

Go to tools/options/3D view.
See under the show lat/long where you can change it to decimal degrees - or degrees, minutes, seconds and a few more?

Exact same thing. It just changes how the GPS lat/long is displayed. Nothing more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_degrees

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.