RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support


Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:59 PM
llwade's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chillicothe Illinois
Posts: 397
Default want to use w/ GPS ???

I have a Uniden GPS I used on the HP-1. I ordered the SDS100 cable from Scanner Master. I dont remember seeing any threads on how to hook up & configure on the SDS100. Are there any articles on Radio Reference with instructions/information on how to hook it up. Thank You for your time.
__________________
73s
LLWade
email: leroywade@mediacombb.net
BCD996XT, HP-1, BCD536HP, SDS100
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2018, 12:04 AM
rbrtklamp2's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dupage County, Illinois
Posts: 697
Default

I am really not familiar as I hardly ever use the GPS feature. But if you plan on using it regularly in would contact Jon Weinke on the forums and have him install the internal GPS for you its. It's looks way better and you will always have it on you not just in the car or where ever your supplying power to the GPS from.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
__________________

Stop streaming public safety comms before encryption kills our hobby!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2018, 7:12 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtklamp2 View Post
I am really not familiar as I hardly ever use the GPS feature. But if you plan on using it regularly in would contact Jon Weinke on the forums and have him install the internal GPS for you its. It's looks way better and you will always have it on you not just in the car or where ever your supplying power to the GPS from.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
But doesn't installing a internal gps void the warranty?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2018, 7:41 AM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing1 View Post
But doesn't installing a internal gps void the warranty?
Theoretically yes it could. So far, there hasn't been a test case of a modded radio breaking and needing warranty service. I've asked UPMan about it, and he was not able to give me a definitive answer. It would probably depend on exactly what the malfunction was, and whether there was any plausible way to blame the malfunction on the modification, but until there is a test case, it's theory and conjecture. But I advise potential customers to assume the warranty is voided.

Regarding the OP's question, if he got the correct cable, there's only one way to use it to connect between the scanner, the GPS puck, and USB port. Plug the connectors that match together, verify the light on the GPS puck is turning on, and scan either the full database or favorite lists that have Location Control enabled, and the rest is automatic.
__________________
Uniden scanner internal GPS installations--making mobile scanning work the way it always should have.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2018, 7:46 AM
noaim's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 284
Default

in my experience you just plug it in and turn on the scanner. That is how it worked on the 436hp
__________________
BCD396XT-BCD996XT
BCD436HP-BCD536HP
SDS100 - Tom
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2018, 5:42 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, MI
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing1 View Post
But doesn't installing a internal gps void the warranty?
So you have to pay a few bucks for a repair if it's ever needed. Convenience of an internal GPS far surpasses that concern. Think about it, how many of your electronics have ever gone back for warranty work?

There is a law about alterations causing a problem. Read about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
__________________
73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30 Yaesu: FT2DR & FT70, Hytera PD782G, Uniden SDS100
DVMega running Pi-Star: D-Star, DMR, System Fusion, P25, NXDN
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2018, 6:10 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, MI
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwade View Post
I have a Uniden GPS I used on the HP-1. I ordered the SDS100 cable from Scanner Master. I dont remember seeing any threads on how to hook up & configure on the SDS100. Are there any articles on Radio Reference with instructions/information on how to hook it up. Thank You for your time.
Just mate up the ends of the cables and plug it in. After satelite lock it will work great.
__________________
73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30 Yaesu: FT2DR & FT70, Hytera PD782G, Uniden SDS100
DVMega running Pi-Star: D-Star, DMR, System Fusion, P25, NXDN
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:25 PM
N9JIG's Avatar
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Far NW Valley
Posts: 3,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Factor View Post
Just mate up the ends of the cables and plug it in. After satelite lock it will work great.

Basically you cannot plug the wrong thin in anywhere, the cables only go one way.


The puck part of the Uniden GPS kit has a round connector that fits into the accessory cable, the accessory cable has 2 other ends, one is the USB mini that plugs into the radio and the other is the larger USB plug that plugs into a USB power source. This powers the radio as well as the GPS and makes for a nice and tidy setup.
__________________
Rich Carlson, N9JIG

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:46 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, MI
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9JIG View Post
... tidy setup.
I can't agree with that part. So many cables, it's a kludge in my opinion.
__________________
73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30 Yaesu: FT2DR & FT70, Hytera PD782G, Uniden SDS100
DVMega running Pi-Star: D-Star, DMR, System Fusion, P25, NXDN
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2018, 11:01 PM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,787
Default

The Y cable setup is about as tidy as you can get with an external GPS. An internal GPS miniaturizes the cable clutter, and puts it inside the case.
__________________
Uniden scanner internal GPS installations--making mobile scanning work the way it always should have.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2018, 2:23 PM
durangoGreg's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 125
Default

Are you talking about that big clunky cigarette lighter power adapter and RS-232 cable that is attached to the GPS puck and then buying another cable that connects to both and you have to power through the cigarette lighter plus plug into the microUSB port of the SDS100?

That is about as un-tidy a solution as one could ever imagine.

How about a new external GPS receiver with a microUSB connector as standard which receives power from the USB port on the SDS100? Isn't that a possible solution? I think Uniden screwed the pooch on this one. They need to at least release a newly designed GPS receiver if they aren't going to include an internal GPS.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2018, 3:53 PM
N9JIG's Avatar
Sheriff
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Far NW Valley
Posts: 3,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangoGreg View Post
Are you talking about that big clunky cigarette lighter power adapter and RS-232 cable that is attached to the GPS puck and then buying another cable that connects to both and you have to power through the cigarette lighter plus plug into the microUSB port of the SDS100?

That is about as un-tidy a solution as one could ever imagine.

How about a new external GPS receiver with a microUSB connector as standard which receives power from the USB port on the SDS100? Isn't that a possible solution? I think Uniden screwed the pooch on this one. They need to at least release a newly designed GPS receiver if they aren't going to include an internal GPS.
The SDS100 and BCD325P2 do not have the 4-pin serial port of older scanners (HomePatrol, BCD436, BCD396 etc.). To connect the Uniden GPS to them you use just the puck part and the special adapter cable. The adapter cable connects to the scanner thru the regular USB port and will also power the radio and GPS from a single USB port.

The DB-9 and cigar plug are unused with this setup.
__________________
Rich Carlson, N9JIG

Facts are facts but my opinions are my own and may not reflect those of whom I work for.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2018, 9:50 PM
llwade's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chillicothe Illinois
Posts: 397
Default

I understand the hardware installation. replace old cable with the new "Y" cable. New cable will supply power to the scanner and power the GPS Puck. The new cable arrived today and I replaced the old cable with the new one. Have to give credit for the new cable. Nice job. Back to my original question. Hardware=NO PROBLEM. Could someone please give me a step by step list of what I need to do to have the radio recognize the newly installed GPS Puck. I think someone said you just do the hardware install and you will be up and running. That sure would be nice. my end result would be to drive from Illinois to Maryland and have the GPS select my location AUTOMATICALLY all the time I was driving. I would think I would have to make some selections in the scanner to get it to do the "switching" for me. Thank You so much for your time. Please drop the issue of altering the scanner by installing an internal Puck. That is NOT the route I want to go
__________________
73s
LLWade
email: leroywade@mediacombb.net
BCD996XT, HP-1, BCD536HP, SDS100
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2018, 10:05 PM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,787
Default

Use the cable to connect the GPS, scanner, and USB port powering both.

Make sure the scanner serial port speed is set to 4800 in location settings in the menu.

Scan the database and/or favorite lists with Location Control enabled.

That's it.
__________________
Uniden scanner internal GPS installations--making mobile scanning work the way it always should have.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-10-2018, 10:08 PM
noaim's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwade View Post
I understand the hardware installation. replace old cable with the new "Y" cable. New cable will supply power to the scanner and power the GPS Puck. The new cable arrived today and I replaced the old cable with the new one. Have to give credit for the new cable. Nice job. Back to my original question. Hardware=NO PROBLEM. Could someone please give me a step by step list of what I need to do to have the radio recognize the newly installed GPS Puck. I think someone said you just do the hardware install and you will be up and running. That sure would be nice. my end result would be to drive from Illinois to Maryland and have the GPS select my location AUTOMATICALLY all the time I was driving. I would think I would have to make some selections in the scanner to get it to do the "switching" for me. Thank You so much for your time. Please drop the issue of altering the scanner by installing an internal Puck. That is NOT the route I want to go


I think you are over thinking this. Simply plug everything in and turn the scanner on it will switch automatically


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
BCD396XT-BCD996XT
BCD436HP-BCD536HP
SDS100 - Tom
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2018, 12:06 AM
llwade's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chillicothe Illinois
Posts: 397
Default

GOT IT ........... Thank You so much. Appeciate your help
__________________
73s
LLWade
email: leroywade@mediacombb.net
BCD996XT, HP-1, BCD536HP, SDS100
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2018, 12:21 AM
llwade's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chillicothe Illinois
Posts: 397
Default

ran into snag ............ menu > set your location > set up GPS > LOCATION FORMAT & SET SERIAL PORT set serial port was easy. did as you said and set as 4800 bps. What about Location Format. dont understand DMS: DDD MM SS.SS / DEG: DDD . dddddd. do I SKIP this step ???
__________________
73s
LLWade
email: leroywade@mediacombb.net
BCD996XT, HP-1, BCD536HP, SDS100
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2018, 2:12 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kenmore, WA
Posts: 96
Default Location format....

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwade View Post
ran into snag ............ menu > set your location > set up GPS > LOCATION FORMAT & SET SERIAL PORT set serial port was easy. did as you said and set as 4800 bps. What about Location Format. dont understand DMS: DDD MM SS.SS / DEG: DDD . dddddd. do I SKIP this step ???
This setting is ONLY to change how GPS coordinates are displayed.
Either in decimal degrees - or degrees, minutes, seconds.

Open Google Earth. Look down at the bottom right, (GPS coordinates of the cursor/location).
You will either decimal degrees - or degrees, minutes, seconds. (DDD MM SS.SS / DDD.dddddd)

Go to tools/options/3D view.
See under the show lat/long where you can change it to decimal degrees - or degrees, minutes, seconds and a few more?

Exact same thing. It just changes how the GPS lat/long is displayed. Nothing more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_degrees

Last edited by nessnet; 08-11-2018 at 2:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2018, 6:30 PM
llwade's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chillicothe Illinois
Posts: 397
Default

NESSNET thank you for your input. If I understand you correctly, I dont have to even mess w/ that step.
__________________
73s
LLWade
email: leroywade@mediacombb.net
BCD996XT, HP-1, BCD536HP, SDS100
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2018, 7:55 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint Joseph, MI
Posts: 313
Default

That's correct. You gotta believe us. It's really easy and works as if by magic. But even magic is unnecessary.
__________________
73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30 Yaesu: FT2DR & FT70, Hytera PD782G, Uniden SDS100
DVMega running Pi-Star: D-Star, DMR, System Fusion, P25, NXDN
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions