SDS100/SDS200: Sds100 listening to fm radio!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racing1

channel>frequency>channel
Got it thanks. The only problem now is it keeps cutting in and out frequently worse than having close call set to priority. I'm using the RS800 antenna with full signal and RSSI of -100

racing1

Got it thanks. The only problem now is it keeps cutting in and out frequently worse than having close call set to priority. I'm using the RS800 antenna with full signal and RSSI of -100
Just tried with stock antenna still same results.

I have a 436 that I sometimes use to listen to broadcast band. I'm generally listening to the station uplink frequency though, since on my local station the uplink to the antenna site is before they add in the commercials.

Wildfan

Mine just got returned to the seller because the audio on any FM station was atrocious; virtually zero treble, and actively clipped highs, even though the correct bandwidth was selected, with excellent signal levels. The same signals on my 436 sound fantastic, so it's definitely the SDS100 acting up. I'm almost afraid to order another one... if anyone has both the 436 and the SDS100, compare the two on a local FM station, and tell me if they're similar sounding to you. Mine were absolutely not. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mule1075

Feed Provider
Mine just got returned to the seller because the audio on any FM station was atrocious; virtually zero treble, and actively clipped highs, even though the correct bandwidth was selected, with excellent signal levels. The same signals on my 436 sound fantastic, so it's definitely the SDS100 acting up. I'm almost afraid to order another one... if anyone has both the 436 and the SDS100, compare the two on a local FM station, and tell me if they're similar sounding to you. Mine were absolutely not. Thanks!

I am confused you bought a SDS100 to listen to fm radio?

Wildfan

I bought it to use at events where I can listen to anything relevant there that I want (I.e. security staff, news media, sports team personnel, broadcast media, etc.). If I'm at a game, having FM broadcast available (like on my 436) lets me check on the game, if there's a controversial call going on. It works on the 436; it utterly failed on my 1st attempt at owning an SDS100.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I just tuned a few FM stations on mine and it sounded great. V12 it's obviously not hi fidelity like my car stereo system but it didn't sound choppy or over driven

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The first couple firmware versions had some issues with broadcast FM, but it's improved a lot.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
They still need to get the high and low freq cutoffs right for FMB, but it's an improvement over what it was.

Wildfan

Do you have a 436 to compare it to? Mine actually sounded overdriven and clipped; I even loaded the beta firmware that Jon mentioned, and heard no difference at all.
I just tuned a few FM stations on mine and it sounded great. V12 it's obviously not hi fidelity like my car stereo system but it didn't sound choppy or over driven

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have both. The 436 is better at FMB than the SDS100, mainly because the SDS100 firmware still uses the same audio frequency low and high cutoff frequencies for everything, which makes FMB sound like crap.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I just tuned to fm broadcast with the SDS and it was ok, then patched thru these Inland Pro Audio 2000 multimedia speakers and - whoa! Sounds good...I am so jazzed with these speakers at this price that I just ordered another set for my computer. I had to turn them down to about 5, real loud was distorted, midrange 5 was nice and clear. I also like the fact that they have a headphone jack out of the master side - something you don't see too often with multimedia speakers. My Bose QC35s sound fantastic thru them, but then those headphones would sound fantastic thru a refrigerator hah

Wildfan

I have both. The 436 is better at FMB than the SDS100, mainly because the SDS100 firmware still uses the same audio frequency low and high cutoff frequencies for everything, which makes FMB sound like crap.
I received my replacement last week, and noted that it came with the new battery and door; I updated the firmware, and this one is not much better on FM broadcast than my last one. I *really* hope they get the audio curve right eventually, or I'll be selling it and switching to Whistler. I mean, they already had the circuitry down with the 436; this is supposed to be an improvement, but right now, not so much...

Status
Not open for further replies.