SDS100 Charging Circuit Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

hagensieker

Premium Subscriber
So far this has been a one time thing but I experienced a situation where my SDS100 wasn't charging. A reboot didn't clear the issue. Once I removed the battery and put it back in the issue reset itself.

Of note, I bought the soft case that fit the 436, which fits great by the way, and it happened while it was installed in the case. I'm thinking heat.

I've since removed the SDS100 from the soft case with no repeat issue. My intent with the case was only for protection while it is in the carry on suitcase anyway while I'm traveling. I never really intended to operate the scanner long term while it is in the case anyway. Just for transport.

I suppose I could give it one more shot but not a fan of overheating my $700 scanner possibly on purpose.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When the internal temp of the scanner rises above a preset temp, the battery charger will temporarily shut off. It will automatically turn back on when the scanner cools down. It doesn't indicate anything was damaged, it's a behavior to prevent damage to the battery.

Opening the battery compartment will cool the scanner internals faster.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
So far this has been a one time thing but I experienced a situation where my SDS100 wasn't charging. A reboot didn't clear the issue. Once I removed the battery and put it back in the issue reset itself.

Of note, I bought the soft case that fit the 436, which fits great by the way, and it happened while it was installed in the case. I'm thinking heat.

I've since removed the SDS100 from the soft case with no repeat issue. My intent with the case was only for protection while it is in the carry on suitcase anyway while I'm traveling. I never really intended to operate the scanner long term while it is in the case anyway. Just for transport.

I suppose I could give it one more shot but not a fan of overheating my $700 scanner possibly on purpose.

When you are carrying the scanner around, you are not charging so it shouldn't be an issue. But it looks like you'll need to remove it from the case (that was not designed for the radio) when charging. An operational / procedural adjustment that might be a slight PITA, but not really a big deal.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I hope whomever is designing cases for the SDS (I think Scannermaster uses a company called Case, Inc?) is on the job and knows the scanner and the fact that it generates heat and they ventilate accordingly. They should have several eyelet holes around the bottom of the case corresponding with the battery/cpu locations. That would be good. I bought the 436 nylon case from them and it really does not fit the SDS100. VERY tight and a hassle to get on and off. It will do in a pinch, but I will only use it on short drives and for short periods of time.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I did some experimenting with the heat generated by the SDS100 and the Uniden A2829 nylon case last month. See post #27 in the thread below. Not sure if its possible to incorporate some type of heat sink in a future case for the SDS100 to help alleviate some heat but I do not consider this a problem, just an slight inconvenience to remove the case for charging. Would have to remove the case to charge batteries in an external charger anyway.
https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/372215-sds100-heat-2.html

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The CPUs and other heat-producing components are all in the top section of the unit, either behind the display or just above the battery compartment. Note where the RFI shielding is located on the circuit boards:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgvQQbjn2uujFCymvKw

You know the insides, jon, design a case for it and send the draw to Scannermaster to forward to their case source folks :) You would know, if anyone, just where to vent it!

radio3353

That's right, folks. No heat problems with the SDS100. The very warm to the touch antenna jack and the overheating battery are just your imagination. Deny, deny, deny.

N9JIG

Sheriff
ScannerMaster is aware of the heat issues and will take that into consideration during case design. I would hope any other vendors considering cases would do the same.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's right, folks. No heat problems with the SDS100. The very warm to the touch antenna jack and the overheating battery are just your imagination. Deny, deny, deny.

Bash, bash, bash...

The thermal cutoff turns off charging before the battery overheats, by design, to prevent any possibility of damage. If the SDS100 can survive running in a hot vehicle without any performance degradation or damage, then it's not a "problem". And you don't even own a SDS100. Have you ever even seen one in real life?

K9JLR

My experience has been that it is fine charging in the case if the scanner is turned off. If the scanner is on and you are charging, and it is still in the nylon case, once it gets too hot, it will stop charging until it cools off - usually about five minutes after you turn the scanner off.

It charges with absolutely no problem if the scanner is running without the case on. So I'd say this is more an inconvenience issue for those of us using a case that wasn't designed for this particular radio, given its individual design and the possible need for a unique consideration of heat dispensation relative to the ergonomics of a case. Remember that these nylon cases were designed for the 436 series, which didn't have the same type of energy needs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
And when a responsibly designed case for it finally arrives, I believe that inconvenience will be history. I have the nylon 436 case and I took a 3-hour roadtrip with it and while it was warmer than usual, it was by no means 'hot'. But bashers will be bashers, go figger.

Status
Not open for further replies.