SDS100/SDS200: mini-USB pin missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
#@$!

I think I have to send in my SDS100 for warranty.
My car GPS cable wouldn't work today, so I started investigating.
(Earlier, for those that follow this forum, I had an issue with a new BC-UTGC Uniden cable)
Maybe the cable wasn't defecto after all, but I had a going bad/bad connector….?

Anyway, looks like the ground pin is gone on the mini USB on the radio.
(see attachment)

Could someone look at their SDS100 to verify all pins are there?
I'm fairly sure they all should be.

Weird that some cables still work.
Probably because the radio is getting a ground from the plug chassis...

Attachments

• 20180816_160513[1].jpg
    20180816_160513[1].jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 465

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The pin is there. It's just pulled out of the connector slot its supposed to be folded into, and unfolded. Ground can also connect through the shell of the connector.

SCPD

QRT
The pin is there. It's just pulled out of the connector slot its supposed to be folded into, and unfolded. Ground can also connect through the shell of the connector.

The same thing happened on my bcd436hp and I was charged while it was under warranty for physical damage to the USB port not covered by factory warranty

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
#@$!

I think I have to send in my SDS100 for warranty.
My car GPS cable wouldn't work today, so I started investigating.
(Earlier, for those that follow this forum, I had an issue with a new BC-UTGC Uniden cable)
Maybe the cable wasn't defecto after all, but I had a going bad/bad connector….?

Anyway, looks like the ground pin is gone on the mini USB on the radio.
(see attachment)

Could someone look at their SDS100 to verify all pins are there?
I'm fairly sure they all should be.

Weird that some cables still work.
Probably because the radio is getting a ground from the plug chassis...

Numbering from left to right in position 1,3 and 5 plastic is missing from above the electrical contact. That's not like mine and might be the reason the pin unfolded from the shell.

Any idea how that happened?

Mike

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Not sure exactly.....
My new Uniden GPS cable was not getting a solid power connection, unless I applied a bit of pressure with my finger. All my other USB cables worked fine.

This is when I started looking into why and discovered this.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Something dinged it up. I would closely check any of the cables previously plugged into it for damage. In my opinion it is only going to get worse. Either that connector may damage other mating connectors or one of the mating connectors damaged that one.

SoapBox: (on)
Once a connector is small like this one the best approach is a breakout box/cable. Find a cable that plugs into itself like an electrical extension cord, its the concept not the actual AC cord I speak of. Cut it in half and pigtail the leads. Mount the leads on a small piece of vector board. Jumper from one side to the other with bare wire. If the cable has power in it, use jumper clip so at a later time you can measure current.
SoapBox (off)

Mike

Attachments

• SDS100Connector.jpg
    SDS100Connector.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 222

SCPD

QRT
My connector shows all five just like MCSCANNER’s pic.

sent in for battery issue and it wasnt qualified tho the website said it did... serial series 6800

so all is well fix it under warranty cause it was a battery issue internally..

sent in charged automatically for (USB Port physical damage)

received back and still had to set time everytime it was turned on... UNIDEN denied it had the issue when it still did..

yes i left it turned on for 3 straight days covering the 50 hour charge time... l have since thrown that pos and cracked screen and just when i got the sds100 3 weeks ago today i hammered (literally) the 436hp into little pieces........

long story short about 4 weeks because it went to the department for battery repair then to regular repair then to me...

ussual times are 1week ship to uniden
3 or 4 days till inventoried
fixed day after inventoried if parts are in..
fedex smartpost back to me 10 days cause it was sent to my home address which doesnt receive mail and and i put in the paper work for usps delivery use po box for UPS and Fedex use physical address if using surepost or smartpost USE PO BOX............ so 4 weeks for me to get the 436hp back in same condition it was in before sending it in.............. and clock wouldnt hold setting and still charged for a repair even though pics of the whole scanner before sending it for repairs it was scratch free... came back all scratched up so filed with capital one and got my repair fee back and fought through better business bureau and got nowhere.. uniden never replied...

Status
Not open for further replies.