SDS100 LED light ''leaking''

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinsky

Am I the only one or the SDS100 has LED light leaking issue around the edges of the display?

Not very good for a $650 bucks unit (around $900 CAD here).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can see a reflection off the inside edge of the display bezel. But that is not the same as a light leak. Post a photo.

vinsky

You can see a reflection off the inside edge of the display bezel. But that is not the same as a light leak. Post a photo.

Yes I see the reflection but it seems like there is also some light coming from somewhere else...

I will post a picture when I get home.

N6ML

Yes, mine leaks from the left side, towards the bottom of the screen. It's kindof difficult (for me, at least) to take a good photo of this (I'm not a photographer!). Here's an attempt. You can see the reflection in the bezel, but also, on the left side, bottom half, there is light leaking through (immediately to the left of the "SYSTEM" soft-key label). It's not visible when looking straight at the display, but is quite obvious from an angle.

Attachments

• DSCF0023.JPG
    DSCF0023.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 785

budevans

Yes, mine leaks from the left side, towards the bottom of the screen. It's kindof difficult (for me, at least) to take a good photo of this (I'm not a photographer!). Here's an attempt. You can see the reflection in the bezel, but also, on the left side, bottom half, there is light leaking through (immediately to the left of the "SYSTEM" soft-key label). It's not visible when looking straight at the display, but is quite obvious from an angle.

It's a reflection as jonwienke said in his post. When you look straight on, you won't see it.

Regarding vinsky's post, we'll have to view a picture of what he's reporting.

N6ML

It's a reflection as jonwienke said in his post. When you look straight on, you won't see it.

No, it is absolutely *NOT* a reflection. As I said, I can't get a good photo that shows it, but it's very obvious "in person". It's like the screen isn't pressed all the way against the case at the bottom corner - the leakage gradually increases from top to bottom along the left side.

N6ML

Better pic....

Attachments

• DSCF0024.JPG
    DSCF0024.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 741

mrkelso

yep mine is the same way, kind of annoying for the price of this thing.

racin06

This is a clearly light leak and is present on my SDS100. I'm an amateur photographer of many years and I own some high-end photography gear. Below are two photos I shot with a $1,200 macro lens to get a closer view. As you can see, the light leak and the reflection from the display bezel are both illustrated. Also, the light leak exists only on the left side of my SDS100 and tapers off towards the top of the display. However, I really don't find the light leak to be that big of a deal. The SDS100 is king of all scanners at this time.

Attachments

• DSCF8032FW-SM-1.jpg
    DSCF8032FW-SM-1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's not a light leak. The bezel is acting as a light pipe, and light is escaping from tiny imperfections on the top edge of the bezel. The images show a similar effect coming from the edge of the screen protector.

An actual light leak would require a gap between the case and the bezel, and would only be visible when looking straight down the gap between the case and bezel.

Attachments

• DSCF8032FW-SM-1.jpg
    DSCF8032FW-SM-1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 660

SCPD

QRT
Solution : Switch to a white background. Fixed.
Its just reflection.

I'm pretty darn picky but this doesn't bother me.
The fact I paid for NXDN and DMR and it doesn't decode does though.

N6ML

What you've labeled as "Light pipe effect from edge of screen protector" is *not* the screen protector - it's the edge of the actual display (underneath the clear plastic) - at least in my case. It's easier to perceive this when I can hold the radio in my hand and rotate it to view from different angles.

The "light pipe" theory also doesn't explain why the leakage gradually widens from the top to bottom.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Again, if it was a light leak, there would have to be a gap between the case and bezel, and it would only be visible when looking at the edge of the display straight-on.

N6ML

I think it's a combination of light leak and the glass(?) of the actual display (not the plastic on top) refracting it. Here's another pic, with a display where there the bottom part is all black. There's nothing to reflect at the bottom in this case. It's very clear that the light is coming around the edge of the display.

Attachments

• DSCF0025.JPG
    DSCF0025.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 622

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
OK, I agree that is backlight showing around the edge of the LCD.

jpiddock

It is light leak, mine has it on the right side when looking at a slightly off-center angle, it's annoying and shouldn't be an issue on a $650 device.

Attachments

• 2018-08-18 15.45.17.jpg
    2018-08-18 15.45.17.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 618

SCPD

QRT

In that picture it looks like a reflection...Not a concern reflections happed on the plastic frames of tv just we arent always on top of the TV to see it..from a distance you see it if you look at the TV say from the side of the TV... Looks like what you did in the pic.. but do you see it looking straight at the screen?
That would be my Question... Not a side angle..

By looks of it glass is kinda thick so edge mirroring is indeed possible

Have return lable in hand and till sept 3rd to ship it back... Going to try an hold onto as long as i can and hope RECEPTION issues can somehow be fixed by then via firmware or I will just buy another bcd436hp........

Status
Not open for further replies.