SDS Won't lock on to control channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
"Seems" like my SDS won't lock on to control channel, It goes from 4 bars to no bars, Any fix for this? Thank You

BTW I'm Monitoring Columbus Police on Ohio MARCS and I have the current firmware installed from Sentinel

jasonhouk

It's a housekeeping cycle and theres no way to completely stop it but you can extend the interval of said cycle by applying a system hold time in your favorites editor.

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

racing1

It's a housekeeping cycle and theres no way to completely stop it but you can extend the interval of said cycle by applying a system hold time in your favorites editor.

Houk

What do you recommend for this system hold time?

baj76

Uniden fanboy
I bought a G4 today from Ray's, hopefully my problems are over

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Just a FYI this may or may not be related to your issue. Columbus and Grove City have been having issues with their MARCS City Site since Thursday. Motorola is aware and repairs are forthcoming, hopefully Monday. Transmissions sometimes sound like a broken record with the audio making a rapid skip. I thought it was my HP-2 at first and reset it but it continued. I hear the same sounds on my G-4 as well.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
If I'm only scanning a single system/site I set a hold time 255.
Unless it's an "on the fly" case of just trying it for a short time, I typically will put this into a separate favorites list since for the next 4 1/2 minutes, the "scanner" won't be scanning anything else. That way, you can enable/disable at will. You can also put the same system with a default hold of 0 in a different FL for normal scanning.
If scanning multiple systems/sites I set a hold time of 2 or 3.
Setting multiple systems like this might/usually does help receiving those systems with the non-default hold times but significantly increases the likelihood of missing transmissions on other systems. Obviously, any delays that are configured will cause this.

jasonhouk

Unless it's an "on the fly" case of just trying it for a short time, I typically will put this into a separate favorites list since for the next 4 1/2 minutes, the "scanner" won't be scanning anything else. That way, you can enable/disable at will. You can also put the same system with a default hold of 0 in a different FL for normal scanning.

Setting multiple systems like this might/usually does help receiving those systems with the non-default hold times but significantly increases the likelihood of missing transmissions on other systems. Obviously, any delays that are configured will cause this.
Scanning single system&site therefore "other systems" is negated from the equation.

I agree with you on scanning multiple systems&sites that the longer hold and delay times can affect missing comms on other systems and or sites. It's really a catch 22 and each individual can experiment and find the best settings to suit them.

Houk

baj76

Uniden fanboy
setting the hold time to 255 was a huge, HUGE improvement...Thank you jasonHouk

racing1

Scanning single system&site therefore "other systems" is negated from the equation.

I agree with you on scanning multiple systems&sites that the longer hold and delay times can affect missing comms on other systems and or sites. It's really a catch 22 and each individual can experiment and find the best settings to suit them.

Houk

Why would someone need to put system hold time to 255 if I'm using site hold and a single system?

jasonhouk

The scanner does what's called a house keeping cycle that drops the control channel approximately every 1-2 seconds to update GPS, file management and other tasks. A site hold time will control in seconds up to 255 when the scanner performs said cycle.

Houk
Why would someone need to put system hold time to 255 if I'm using site hold and a single system?

troymail

Silent Key
The scanner does what's called a house keeping cycle that drops the control channel approximately every 1-2 seconds to update GPS, file management and other tasks. A site hold time will control in seconds up to 255 when the scanner performs said cycle.

Houk

Kinda makes you wonder - if a user can delay these functions for up to 4 1/2 minutes without apparently any negative impact, why it is necessary to default it to every 1-2 seconds.

FWIW - it still seems that the constant dropping and reacquiring of the CC with the default hold of 0 is a problem given setting it to a higher value in many cases seems to improve performance. However, I've never done any test of this on a very strong signal vs. an "average" or weaker signal. It seems like if the radio is able to determine a signal is -45 dBm vs. -100 dBm, it would spend more time trying to check the weaker one (a sort of 'dynamic hold adjustment') rather than requiring a user to change the default hold time....

racing1

Houk

Since I put the hold time set to 255. When I have display timer set to open squelch the display won't turn off after each transmission like it used to. Do you think it's related to the new hold time

jasonhouk

I'll have to check to try to reproduce.

Houk
Since I put the hold time set to 255. When I have display timer set to open squelch the display won't turn off after each transmission like it used to. Do you think it's related to the new hold time

jasonhouk

I'm getting the same with open squelch setting and 255 hold time. I also tried a hold time of 10 & then 5 and the backlight is turning off. I'll try longer than 10 but less than 255 to attempt to determine how UJE coded the backlight algorithm. It doesn't seem consistent with the settings I've checked.

Houk

Status
Not open for further replies.